Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimble, Thimble...Who's Got The Thimble? >

Thimble, Thimble...Who's Got The Thimble?

Thimble, Thimble...Who's Got The Thimble?

Old 12-12-2013, 07:41 AM

Personally, I love my leather thimble. It feels extremely comfortable and fits my middle finger perfectly. I don't do any hand quilting though. I just use it for binding and other simple, hand sewing tasks.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:09 AM

I did! that's why I think I need one ;-) I have one of the dimpled metal rings that I inherited from MIL. I would love to have one of the beautiful wrapped rings.

Last edited by DebraK; 12-12-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:10 AM

I have not used a thimble much as I always felt they were cumbersome.....but, recently I have been doing more hand sewing and one night I was pushing the need through several layers and ended up pushing the needed right through my finger - literally in one side and out the other! So I pulled out the old metal thimble that I think used to belong to my grandmother. I really don't like how it feels so I am going to look into some of the others that y'all have mentioned. Good thread! Terina
Old 12-12-2013, 08:18 AM

I use silver thimbles made by T J Lane. She makes them to fit your finger. It was wonderful buying one that actually fits. Several years ago she had a booth at the Road to California show and I was able to try several. My treat to myself was going to her booth and picking out a new thimble and haven't been able to find her the past few years. According to the website she is going to be there again this year so I am really looking forward to checking out the new stock
Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 AM

oh my, quiltingcandy. Such gorgeous stuff.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:42 AM

I buy these from my local quilt store:

http://www.amazon.com/Colonial-leath...ds=thimble+pad

Love them.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:15 AM

Several years ago, I bought a thimble at the Houston International Quilt Festival. It was made from a black, rubber-like material, and it is wonderful to work with. The woman sized my finger so that the thimble would fit correctly, and it is dense enough that I will never need to worry about a needle piercing it.

Also, when I am doing applique work, I use the "Nimble Thimble" which is a very lightweight leather with a slit in the end if you have long fingernails. I have also used the thimble pads and a similar product which is a clear, oval thimble pad called "Thimble It".
Old 12-12-2013, 10:20 AM

I hand quilt all the time. I use TJ Lanes thimbles. They are the best IMHO, Just received 2 back in the mail today.
I end up wearing holes in them when quilting, and she either fixes them or replaces them. She has moved to Iowa
her address is: www.thimbles2fit.com
[email protected]
Thimbles by TJ Lane
P. O. Box 2140
Fairfield, IA 52556 USA. I am not affiliated with her or anything else, just love her thimbles.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:43 AM

I have a sterling silver antique thimble that belonged to my Mother's Aunt. It has and engraved band around the base and dimples all over it. I don't use it often but I keep it handy for tough hand sewing.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:27 PM

I use the extra small leather thimbles made of goat leather. They are hand made. If they get a little loose I lick my finger before putting it on. Used it to hand finish a 108" x 116" quilt. I pick them up at large quilt shows and we have 1 local quilt shop that carries them. I have 4 - 5 around now because they are so hars to find in the small size.