Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimble, Thimble...Who's Got The Thimble? >

Thimble, Thimble...Who's Got The Thimble?

Thimble, Thimble...Who's Got The Thimble?

Old 12-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

I always use a thimble. The end of the needle hurts when it pokes my finger and I don't like that. I love these thimbles:

http://stores.delphinesquiltshop.com...ble/Detail.bok I have about a dozen of them because when anyone borrows one I never get it back.

The Clover silicon thimbles are nice. They are my second choice. http://www.clover-usa.com/product/69..._Grip_Thimbles

I learned this trick years ago. If you have trouble with a metal thimble not fitting your finger, buy a cheap one and using a hammer hit it until the opening is oval shaped. It makes 100% difference to being comfortable fit.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:24 PM

I think I have tried every type of thimble out there! Don't like any of them. My fingers get too hot! I tried using the little leather dots on my middle finger nail, but eventually the needle broke through and went into my fingernail. Ouch! Then I discovered those little red dots! They are called Poke-a-Dots my Jillily Studio. I take the adhesive off and super glue them to my fingernail. Stays on for weeks, keeps clean and so far has not let the needle come through.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:11 PM

I use a Thimblelady thimble http://www.thimblelady.com. I initially tried the plastic one to see if I liked the design/fit. Loved both features. I'm now on my second stainless steel one (wore holes in a couple of the dimples). The dimples are nice and deep and pushing with the pad of my finger vs the top is more comfortable for me. I think the sizing directions on her site are great. I'm hesitant to spend the $$ on a really pretty sterling silver one (either thimblelady or Roxanne or TJ Lane) as sterling is a softer metal than stainless steel. If I can wear holes in the stainless after a few years, I'd hate to think how quickly I'd do that to a sterling one! I hand quilt almost exclusively and will go on binges of quilting from several hours a day to going months at a time doing none. Depends on the projects I have going at any given time. Right now I'm quilting my fingers off trying to get a quilt done for mid-Feb. I think I'll make it!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Banned

I use the Dritz inexpensive thimble. I use a thimble anytime I do hand sewing. I can't hand sew without it. The Dritz has a depression in the top. I also provide this in all my hand quilting classes. I learned to use a thimble many many years ago sewing patches on my military uniforms.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:41 PM

I started using metal thimbles as a child and that is what I continue to use. I cannot do hand sewing without a thimble.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:11 PM

I use Thimblepads, the adhesive leather pads that stick right on your finger. Love them! Never had a needle go through one. I often have one on my thumb as well to help pull the needle through when sewing through several layers of fused fabric. They also work well to add hand traction when machine quilting.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:15 PM

I like the leather one. For me it stays on better than a metal one. Haven't tried other kinds.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Power Poster

I am currently using some old vintage thimbles I inherited with a bunch of sewing supplies. Some years ago my husband bought me a beautiful Japanese thimble with the "coin" bit at the top....our big dog (now 8) was a youngster and whilst cruising past the coffee table (silly me for leaving my sewing stuff on it) he ate it.....haven't got around to buying a nice one. I am pretty keen on getting one from the Thimblelady....but just haven't gotten around to it.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:25 AM

I could never use a thimble until I discovered the leather thimble. They are more expensive than others, but well worth the cost to me.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:06 AM

[QUOTE=tropit;6452764]Remember that childhood game?

I wonder, what is your favorite type of thimble and what task do you use it for? Have you ever tried Japanese thimbles? Ring thimbles? Leather? Beeswax? Plastic? Metal?

I have all those mentioned here PLUS about 4,000 more, since I COLLECT thimbles :-) I use an adjustable size thimble made for long nails. Think it's by fritz and probably brass or base metal. Barb A.