Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimble, Thimble...Who's Got The Thimble? >

Thimble, Thimble...Who's Got The Thimble?

Thimble, Thimble...Who's Got The Thimble?

Old 12-14-2013, 05:28 AM

I probably have a dozen thimbles, but my favorite is an old hard plastic one that I found in my mom's house. It actually fits and most of the others don't.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:29 AM

I just wish I could find one I liked and that actually fit! I also use the pad of my finger ~ the only handwork I do is binding. I have a permanent sore on my poor finger because I always use the same spot to push that needle through
Old 12-14-2013, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I have small hands and trying to find the right thimble to fit is a pain..
I have small fingers (ring size 5) The thimbles I posted about fit the best I've found.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

I cannot use a thimble...I have tried but it just does not seem to work....
Old 12-14-2013, 08:22 AM

I'm still using a thimble that belonged to my Grandmother. I also still have the tiny thimble that fit my finger when I went to quilting bees with Grandma - don't know how old I was, but do remember the quilt frame hung from the ceiling in everyone's home & I had a wooden box to stand on so I would be tall enough to quilt. I'm sure all the stitches I put in were taken out later, but I still remember how much fun it was to go quilting with Grandma.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:53 AM

I have never used a thimble much -
I need to feel the needle come through,
and did not like the bulk or stiffness,
but my poor fingers suffered
BUT
I have found that the Nimble Thimble (leather with a small metal disc in the side)
works great for me, the only thing
wrong is they fall apart quickly (made in China).
Old 12-14-2013, 09:03 AM

I use a Tommy Lane thimble, just my size. She makes your thimble to fit your finger and she resize it if you need it. Watch for her at quilt shows. They are not cheap, but the to is dimples and I have a place for my fingernail to stick out through the top. I have it on a thimble cage of hers and on a chain and have enjoyed using it for about 16 years. It does not leave home.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

I have thimbles in two different display cases that have been given to me through the years. They are so very fun to collect. Some of these are pieces are from women are long gone now. My aunts, grandmother, hubby's grandmother, two of my best friends and their mothers, sisters (still alive), some from trips taken. Some are from second hand and antique stores too. I use a thimble that has a ridge around the top mostly. Not all the time, it depends on the project.

I will have to say this to anyone beginning to wear one. You have to get used to a thimble. It isn't something that right away you feel comfortable wearing.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:43 PM

I used to one of these: http://www.quilting-warehouse.com/072536.html
Its a metal thimble sold by John James. I can't hand quilt any more.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:08 PM

I have short stubby fingers like my father's and could never find a thimble that was comfortable until my LQS showed me the jelly type. I liked it, so I bought two. (Still not a great fit, but better than the nothing I had been using.) last year in a gift exchange among friends, I recieved a package of silicone thimbles. I am hooked! They look like the old rubber ones they used to sell at office supply stores, but they are blue ( I don't know if they come in other colors). For hand quilting, I put one on my under finger, then put a jelly on top of it, and can work all day without sore fingers. My upper hand only has the silicone on it to protect it from my habit of holding the needle to tight when I hand sew. Hand sewing is now so easy, I find myself more willing to do it.

I just found out that my silicone 'thimbles' are made for hair stylists for protecting fingers from chemicals and curling irons...who knew?

Last edited by madamekelly; 12-14-2013 at 01:21 PM.