Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice needed: Jean Quilt or not.. >

Advice needed: Jean Quilt or not..

Advice needed: Jean Quilt or not..

Old 01-07-2012, 09:39 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by raptureready View Post
http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...gallbaros.html

This one's on my bucket list. I love jean quilts, my daughter loves jean purses. Jeans make better throws than quilts because they can get heavy when they are big. Because they're so durable they're great for keeping in the car. Mom used to just cut 5" squares, sew them together, back them and tie them rather than trying to quilt them. If you sew the squares together in strips then offset the seams when sewing the strips together it's not quite as bulky.

THIS IS IT>> THIS IS THE QUILT I WILL MAKE FROM MOMS CLOTHING !!!!!

thank you soooo much.. I can use her jeans for the circles and her 'cotton' shirts to make the squares.. It will be made up entirely of moms clothing..

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH... !!!!!!!!!!

You have lifted a weight off my shoulders.. I cant thank you enough...
Old 01-08-2012, 12:06 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

So Whatcha think???

OMGosh this was soooooooo easy. !!!!!! This was a sample run.. I used scrap fabrics on hand for the sqs..
I used my GO to cut out 5inch circles..E-A-S-Y !!!!! and I used a 3.5 fussy cut template to mark the lines in the circle- Worked great !!! and I used my 3.5 go die for the sqs.. well they still seem a lil big so I may have to cut them down to 3 1/4- Im still tweaking that part... I used denim thread and a denim needle and my sewing machine sewed thru it like butter.YAY!!!!..

This sample doesn't have batting - I and really thinking about putting Warm & natural as its not heavy at all but then again the picture below is only 4 sqs sewn together.. hmmmm.. more tweaking Iguess..

Sooooooooo?? Whatcha think??
[ATTACH=CONFIG]301316[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]301317[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1266.jpg   img_1267.jpg  
Old 01-08-2012, 12:53 AM

Jeans quilts are great, and not so hard to make. Find yourself a good pattern on the web, an easy one, and make sure you use a needle meant for either denim or leather. Good heavy thread is essential as well. Then make something SMALL. Smaller than a lap quilt. Just put some squares together. By the time you've put enough pieces together, you will know if this is something you'd like to continue doing, or something that is just not for you. In that case, you have cut up a maximum of 2 pairs of jeans, no big deal. Then take the rest to Goodwill, or wherever, and say a fond goodbye to them. So try it, start small, if you don't like it, don't force yourself. I like making them, and I know quilters who cringe at the mere thought of making them. Which camp are you in? This is a personal decision. Don't let nostalgia, or the fact that you have a "bunch of jeans on hand" or your husband's desire for a quilt from his Mom's jeans (surely you can find something else of hers to quilt! How about a photo memory quilt?) But whatever you do, don't force yourself to make some big jeans quilt if you discover it's not your "thing". Life is too short for that negativity and "stuff", and putting all that effort into something you don't want to do, and then you'll spend the rest of your life looking at the quilt you hated to make. SO not worth it! But if you discover making that small piece is fun, well, then you've discovered a new, fun form of your craft! It's a win/win situation, and I like those situations. Good Luck with your decision!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:21 AM

I found the biggest challenge with a jean quilt was cutting it out. You have the GO system so it might make it easier. I made my Neice a queen 9-patch for her 18th birthday. I use flannel for the batting and cotton for the backing, and it was still heavy. That was 10 yrs ago, and she told me at Christmas, it was still going strong. I was just thinking of making one for my son, and have started gathering up jeans. Good Luck and enjoy the journey, they are not that bad to do.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:31 AM

That is great ! And besides the good wills and thrift shops are over stocked with clothing at least aroung here they are. Even the free stores aren't always accepting clothing . You will be happy with the quilt I am sure of it. I have a stack I am saving for a quilt of rug havn't decided. My boys have small jean quilts made probly 15 years ago ,they still use them.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:20 AM
Power Poster

Your sample is lovely....glad you have hit on a denim project you like. I am a lover of all things denim and recycled...look forward to seeing your finished quilt.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
So Whatcha think???

OMGosh this was soooooooo easy. !!!!!! This was a sample run.. I used scrap fabrics on hand for the sqs..
I used my GO to cut out 5inch circles..E-A-S-Y !!!!! and I used a 3.5 fussy cut template to mark the lines in the circle- Worked great !!! and I used my 3.5 go die for the sqs.. well they still seem a lil big so I may have to cut them down to 3 1/4- Im still tweaking that part... I used denim thread and a denim needle and my sewing machine sewed thru it like butter.YAY!!!!..

This sample doesn't have batting - I and really thinking about putting Warm & natural as its not heavy at all but then again the picture below is only 4 sqs sewn together.. hmmmm.. more tweaking Iguess..

Great. I like the kitties framed in the block.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:33 AM

So long as you use a strong, jeans needle you should be OK. They are the ones that are sized 90 or 100 and I think I saw some 110s at my LQS which I think would be ideal (if I am not imagining that I saw them). Why not give it a go and if you find it too tough you can always donate then?
Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 AM

I love it!!! I am going to save my DH old jeans and flannel shirts (when he retired he retired his suits,dress shirts and ties), he even wears them on holidays as he feels he has earned the right to dress the way he wants. He will not let me make a tie quilt as he LOVES his ties, so this will be a great idea. I wish I would have done this to the wool suits that I have donated as he "outgrew" them. This is a great way for my 4 R's "recycle, reuse, regift, repurpose" commitment that I try to live by.
Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
So Whatcha think???

Old 01-08-2012, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

I'd pass. Make the T-shirt quilt and if still wanting to use the jeans maybe make a rug by weaving or crochetting.