Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice needed: Jean Quilt or not.. >

Advice needed: Jean Quilt or not..

Advice needed: Jean Quilt or not..

Old 01-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Use a size 14 needle when piecing. Large pieces and an uncomplicated pattern should make it go easier. I would definitely use a lightweight batting.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:19 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Thanks for your comments.. I have the big rag die for the go so the 'raggie-ness' wont be an issue.. I guess Im just worried about the level of thickness and how difficult it is to sew thru.. I have a pfaff 7570 and its not wimpy but Ive never tackled a jean project before.. And if I do this hubby would be thrilled if I used his moms jeans.. he loves the jean quilts and if it was out of his moms jean it would be a double bonus.. I guess Im afraid to screw it up...
Old 01-07-2012, 03:27 PM

I made 2 denim quilts 20 yrs ago for my sons and they are still using them. I didn't think they were hard to make.
I have replaced the bindings a couple times.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:30 PM

Jeans are very heavy. You might have too heavy a quilt on your hands.

Recently I saw a jean rug. It was made with layers of denim and then sewn in parallel lines about 3/4" apart and cut through all but the backing giving a chenille look. Really heavy duty and pretty too.

ali
Old 01-07-2012, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
Thanks for your comments.. I have the big rag die for the go so the 'raggie-ness' wont be an issue.. I guess Im just worried about the level of thickness and how difficult it is to sew thru.. I have a pfaff 7570 and its not wimpy but Ive never tackled a jean project before.. And if I do this hubby would be thrilled if I used his moms jeans.. he loves the jean quilts and if it was out of his moms jean it would be a double bonus.. I guess Im afraid to screw it up...
I would try just ONE layer with the Accuquilt Go die. I made a rag quilt using 2 layers of flannel and one layer of cotton and cut all three layers at once and it was difficult to turn the crank and I had issues with the fabric being stuck down in the areas that cuts the "rag" part. I don't know that you would be able to cut more than one denim block at a time. Just a thought!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 04:04 PM

Default Jean quilt

My youngest son went through his jeans before he left for college and had 2 bags of jeans for GoodWill. I'm like....hmmmmm maybe I can make him a jean quilt for his birthday in November. That gave me a few months plus he really didn't need it until then. I believe I cut 6 inch squares for the jeans and only used flannel for the back. I broke a few needles but it was worth it. I even left the pockets in some of them to add fun to the quilt. I didn't put the X in the squares and it turned out just fine. It is super heavy, but he seams to really like it. The spring loaded scissors are a must for cutting the edges. I cut as I went along so it wasn't such a huge job to cut everything at the end. A mindless job while watching tv. Attached is a picture showing the front and the back! I also made a couple pillows because I had extra fabric left.
Attached Thumbnails october-2010-012.jpg  
Old 01-07-2012, 04:17 PM

Consider making a lap quilt. Small in size and yet ever so warm. I keep one in our truck because my dh is always hot and I get cold. It is awesome.
I also agree with the other post, cut them up, get rid of the waste and just put aside for another day. This way you won't be sorry later.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:19 PM

That is a awesome quilt! I am sure yr son loves it and you for making it for him! Very awesome!
Old 01-07-2012, 04:22 PM

Not all jean quilts have the ragged seams. And as far as the weight - where do you live? What temperature do you keep your house at night in the winter? What may seem too heavy in the south with a high house temperature at night may be just a heavenly weight in a colder climate where you prefer to keep a colder house temperature at night and sleep bundled up under quilts and blankets. Also, usually it is just women who think a quilt gets too heavy. Men seem strong enough to never notice the weight of their quilts or blankets.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

You might want to try a small lap size quilt first. I've always wanted to try the Mock Cathdral Window pattern in blue jean fabric. You cut circles out of one layer of blue jean. You center a square of a different material in the circle just about touching the edge at the 4 corners. The blue jean circles are sewn together by the square edges. You can add a square of batt under the fabric square but you probably won't need it. There would be no heavy seams to sew through and you can easily add to it if you like how it's coming along. I've seen some really nice ones done with a layer of flannel in the center and the jean fabric circle edges allowed to fray. There is a tutorial on the net on doing a jean quilt this way.
If you're not in the mood....send them to St.Vincent or Goodwill.