Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Advice needed on sewing machines >
  • Advice needed on sewing machines

• Advice needed on sewing machines

Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 AM

Default Advice needed on sewing machines

Does anyone out there have a Elna 740 or a Janome Horizon machine and if so, how do you like them?

We were at the Maine Quilt Show and I fell in love with a Elna 740 which had wonderful features but I know nothing about Elna. I have a Janome Memory Craft 8000 which I'm looking to update. Anyone have any suggestions?

The Elna was on sale at $2100 for the quilt show and had super features and many feet plus an extension included in the price. The booth said they would take my machine as a trade-in but I'm not sure of the value of the Janome. I bought it used and it was well used by the person owning it before me but I don't quilt that much so I've not added wear and tear to it and have had it serviced every year.

Money is so tight I want to make sure I make the right decision so I could use you input.
    Old 07-27-2012, 09:58 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Can you keep your Janome and purchase the Elna anyway? I have a backup sewing machine and it has come in handy so many times. Usually you don't get what your machine is worth when you do a trade in. If it were me, I'd keep the Janome and buy the Elna also.
    Old 07-27-2012, 12:12 PM
    Power Poster

The Elna 740 got a bad review here:
    http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi.../Review/1/4274

This review from the same site was better, but also mentions the extra stitches problem:
    http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi.../Review/1/4243

There may be other reviews of both machines on that website: I only glanced at the two that showed up on the first page of my search.

My personal bias is towards Janome and away from Elna. I worked in a sewing machine dealership many years ago, and at that time the Elna machines were not as good as other brands in the shop. Since then I have noticed online that no quilters seem to rave about their beloved Elna machines, whereas lots profess love for their Janome machines. I figure there's probably a reason for that.

One thing I learned in the dealership was that flash and features do not make up for a lack of reliability. One of the reasons I love my old Bernina 1230 is because of her reliability. She does everything she was made to do beautifully, without any problems.
    Old 07-27-2012, 01:09 PM

I love my Janome Horizon, we are getting along great
    Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 PM

Elna is made by Janome if that helps you.
    Old 07-27-2012, 02:16 PM

I bought a Horizon 6 months ago, and I love sewing on it.
    Old 07-27-2012, 06:46 PM

I love my Horizon too!
    Old 07-27-2012, 07:38 PM

My Elna 7200 Quilters Dream Pro was made by Janome. It is a very close cousin to the Janome MC6500p and MC6600p. I just looked up the Elna 740 eXcellence and I would say it is a very close cousin to the Janome Horizon 7700. I was actually looking to purchase the MC6500 when I bought the Elna 7200 but all of the Janome dealers I talked to either wanted too much or didn't know $hit from apple butter about the machine. Then I learned about the made by Janome, Elna 7200 and found an Elna dealer that was asking a reasonable price and was actually using the store demo to quilt on and I was SOLD! IMHO, if you can find an Elna or Janome dealer that is fair & knows what their business--buy your new machine & keep your old one for a backup. I have a Singer Quantum Futura for a backup and an older mechanical Euro Pro that I use for traveling and as a backup to my backup!
    Old 07-27-2012, 07:48 PM

Leah Day, just gave a Janome yutube, I believe, video on how much she likes the Horizon7700. If that helps. I also know there are others on here that enjoy their Elna 7200. I love my Janome 6600, I didn't by the 7700 because I thought it was too much machine for what I wanted and too much money, I gave myself a budget.
    Old 07-27-2012, 09:56 PM

I think they are the same machine like the brother qc-1000 and babylock espiire. Same machine but different name