Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Advice needed from folks who do repairs on older machines >

Advice needed from folks who do repairs on older machines

Advice needed from folks who do repairs on older machines

Old 09-15-2017, 01:51 PM

Default Advice needed from folks who do repairs on older machines

Hey there folks. I have an older Kenmore 158-17033 that I picked up for $10. She's a great machine, sews a wonderful stitch, and of course is solid as an anchor and just as heavy! I have only one strange issue.

The zig-zag stitch doesn't work on all settings. If I keep it on width 1 or 2, it will zig and zag with no problem. However, if I turn it up to 3 or 4 width, it goes right back to straight stitching. I did oil the machine thoroughly when I got it home, but I was thinking maybe it just needs a bit more lubrication? If I try to move the mechanism back and forth by hand it will move, so it's not stuck or anything.

I do have cams for the machine, but some of them work and some don't (they also just produce a straight stitch) so I'm thinking that because the mechanism won't go to a wider setting, it's keeping the cams from working properly as well.

I tried poking around Google and also You Tube but I can't find anything specific to this machine or this problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'd really like to get it working on all settings and was thinking of calling the local sewing machine guy, but I'd rather not spend a hundred bucks to have it checked if I can figure it out by myself!

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:15 PM

The best advice I can give without seeing it is take the top cover off and move the zig zag lever back and forth. Watch every part that moves, and see if there's any parts that you might have missed. Especially check the cam follower mechanism, it might be stuck outward a little.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:21 PM

I agree with Rocsew, open it up and see what is moving and what not. I know on my Singer 401a the cam stack will get stuck if it is not used a lot. Something like that could be happening with yours. Gentle touch and lots of sewing machine oil and things should free up.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:25 PM

Thanks a bunch! This machine probably hasn't been used in ages, since the person it was purchased from didn't even have the cover plate or the cams (I bought the cover plate from Sewing Parts Online and the cams from someone on this board). I will open it up tomorrow and check everything out under the hood. I'll also keep trying to find some sort of schematic online for these Kenmore machines.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:23 AM

We have a somewhat local repairman who specializes in older machines. I took my vintage New Home and 301A to him and he took both machines apart, cleaned both of them inside and out for $83.56.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:36 AM

Try joining the Yahoo Vintage Kenmore group. They have files of stuff other Kenmore owners have shared. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/VintageKenmoresSew/info.

bkay