Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 questions for older folks maybe

Years ago I saw in a Cloth World store a display of 2 pieces of denim. One was soft and the other regular stiff new denim. They said one was washed using CokeCola. Later I never sould find anyone in the store who knew what I was talking about. Any one here know about that?

I have seen those mesh bags that people make to take to the beach with "pet mesh" but I can't find it on line. Anyone know where I can get it? Thanks .....this is a very brainy and talented bunch.

I know Coke is powerful enough to dissolve some nails, so who knows!!! :shock:

I have never heard of washing fabric with coke but looking at what it does to a penny is scary.

I don't know the answer to your question, but my father used Coke to clean rust off his chrome bumpers when I was a child. I'm sure quite a few people here remember chrome bumpers on cars. :shock:

Answer to your second question.....the bag is "Screen Play Tote" by Nancy Ota patterns. Hope this helps!.......

I have heard that washing the dark blue, really stiff denim jean with coke in the washer will soften the jeans right up. I guess it dissolves all the extra dye? I have also heard it can be used, along with detergent, to help loosen grease and oil stains in the wash.

I don't know about the "older folks" label, but a simple Google search yielded this info: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf14381348.tip.html

Blog Entries
    What a relief to look at this post and realize I don't know the answers!

I hesitated to look, wondering if I wanted to classify myself as an "older folk".

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D ;-)

I am currently making one of those tote bags. Isn't that a coincidence? My pattern is called The Tote & Go an comes in 2 sizes. It is available here: http://store.cottage-quilts.com/stor...3&Item_ID=8548

I got some blue mesh at a quilt store in Exton, PA called the Quilt Block. My youngest DD decided she wanted one also to take back to NZ. So I wanted more pet screen. I tried everywhere, but while the quilt shop in Exton had 5 colors, no LQS around had it. I called the lady in Exton and she said although, she doesn't normally ship, she would consider doing so if I couldn't find it anywhere. She did tell me that she had heard you could get Pet Screen, or nylon screen for repairing screens at hardware stores. I went to a local hardware store and found it in black, identical to the weight that I got at the LQS, And it was wider and cheaper. They only had it in black, but that is what my daughter wanted anyway. This store didn't call it pet screen, just nylon window screen replacement screen.

Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    I am currently making one of those tote bags. Isn't that a coincidence? My pattern is called The Tote & Go an comes in 2 sizes. It is available here: http://store.cottage-quilts.com/stor...3&Item_ID=8548

I got some blue mesh at a quilt store in Exton, PA called the Quilt Block. My youngest DD decided she wanted one also to take back to NZ. So I wanted more pet screen. I tried everywhere, but while the quilt shop in Exton had 5 colors, no LQS around had it. I called the lady in Exton and she said although, she doesn't normally ship, she would consider doing so if I couldn't find it anywhere. She did tell me that she had heard you could get Pet Screen, or nylon screen for repairing screens at hardware stores. I went to a local hardware store and found it in black, identical to the weight that I got at the LQS, And it was wider and cheaper. They only had it in black, but that is what my daughter wanted anyway. This store didn't call it pet screen, just nylon window screen replacement screen.

Hope this helps.
    Those are nice bags!

Blog Entries
    If you want just black you can get the mesh screen at a hardware store.

Quote Originally Posted by b.zang

I hesitated to look, wondering if I wanted to classify myself as an "older folk".

I'm with you, praying I didn't know the answer was good in this case!! :thumbup:

I did the same thing. I was going to be mad if it referred to someone in their fifties.

Quote Originally Posted by bstanbro

I did the same thing. I was going to be mad if it referred to someone in their fifties.
    Sorry Bstanbro, but I think it does. :lol:

I am soooo offended. OLD you say :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: I do remember hearing of using Coke to soften denim. At least I'm not so old NOT to remember :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by bstanbro

Sorry Bstanbro, but I think it does. :lol:
    Wait a minute! I'm in my fifties. I remember Cloth World. (I loved Cloth World and mourned when I heard Joann's bought it.) But I don't remember hearing anything about using Coke to soft denim. I was always told to wash jeans before you wear them to wash out the extra dye and if wanted them soft, use fabric softener.

Here is a link for colored pet screen

http://www.metroscreenworks.com/shop...rs-c-2_74.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaciris
    Here is a link for colored pet screen

http://www.metroscreenworks.com/shop...rs-c-2_74.html
    Great colors, kinda pricey.

Lol, guess I am part of the old ones. I remember Cloth World too. It was a lot nicer store I think than JA's is.
    Don't remember teh Coke though. Whew, guess I am not that old. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    Lol, guess I am part of the old ones. I remember Cloth World too. It was a lot nicer store I think than JA's is.
    Don't remember teh Coke though. Whew, guess I am not that old. ;-)
    I don't remember the coke either, but I DO remember cloth world. We actually had one in our mail....but...long gone!

I never heard of washing denim in coke cola, In the fifties Truckers use to was bugs off their windshields, was the best for the job. Don't know if they still do or if window cleaners work better now. Could be younger Truckers don't know about it.

Blog Entries
    I pour a can of Coke in a big pot of dry pinto beans when I cook them. It gives the beans a flavor boost and suppose to ease the gassy part. I use Sprite or 7UP in white beans.

My SIL found pet screen at Lowe's or Home Depot. She lives in an area that has NO fabric stores, let alone a quilt shop. A web search for pet screen might turn up something.

I remember Cloth World too! But the only thing I use Coke for is dissolve my stomach lining

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I pour a can of Coke in a big pot of dry pinto beans when I cook them. It gives the beans a flavor boost and suppose to ease the gassy part. I use Sprite or 7UP in white beans.
    Soaking your beans overnight first also removes the gassiness.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast