Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2 questions for older folks maybe

Hey OLD is OLD......& I am gathering info up on it & plan on getting there at 99..get real crabby, sock it to everyone who did me wrong over the years, so the next 20 yrs are going to be real busy ones.

Dkm
    Lowe's carries screen mesh and yes you can sew on it. The type I bought was plastic and was around $5 for a pkg.

Quote Originally Posted by sculpyfan

I have seen those mesh bags that people make to take to the beach with "pet mesh" but I can't find it on line. Anyone know where I can get it? Thanks .....this is a very brainy and talented bunch.
    FabricDepot.com has the mesh for beach bags. If you watch the home page many days they have 30% off orders. Hope this helps.

Car people use Coke to dissolve acid caked on batteries. You can use it to clean your toilet, and believe me, you won't have a mineral ring around the toilet when it sits for a while. Think what it does for your stomach (not even counting thinking about what the high fructose corn syrup does for your weight!). Jerry Baker, the garden man, uses it (or some other sweetened soda) in some of his homemade yard/garden treatments. Ah, yes, Coke is very useful - just don't drink it! :-D

Blog Entries
    I made some of those mesh bags last year.. I was able to find black mesh at Wal-Mart much cheaper than at the fabric stores.. I think they also carried blue and brown at the time.. It was called Pet Mesh.. Hope you can still find it... It worked up very nicely..

hi. i'm fairly new here but had to reply to your question. i was a store manager for a fabric store for 24 years. yes, washing denim i have seen will soften with coke. i remember it from about 12-15 years ago.
    an older outdoor fabric called textilene is what you sound like you are looking for in making the mesh bags. call you local home decor fabric stores and besides the outdoor decorator fabrics like sunbrella the may still carry textilene. it will work well if you can't find this pet mesh or don't want to use the window screening.

Saw some cheap mesh laundry bags at Walmart tonight. You can unsew them & use the mesh to make the bag. Holes are bigger so sand will fall out better.

Quote Originally Posted by sculpyfan
    I have seen those mesh bags that people make to take to the beach with "pet mesh" but I can't find it on line. Anyone know where I can get it? Thanks .....this is a very brainy and talented bunch.
    Hi Sculpyfan,

My LQS has the mesh in a few different colors because they have a class for beach bags using the mesh. Here is the link for the class:
    http://www.classschedule.net/cgi-ser...=19995&locate=

You can contact the owner, [email protected] and she can tell you what she has and a price for it.

Diane

That's funny! I am one of the older folks and I never heard of washing anything with Coke. I don't even remember my Grandma or Great Grandma doing it. Maybe we were too poor to waste it!!

Just so you know, Coke was originally made to clean car engines so it does a lot in the way of cutting through grease and other such stuff. I would think it also would soft the jeans, not so much by removing the dye as softening the fabric fibers.

We used it a lot in the shop to clean battery cables when they were croded from battery acid. (sorry , my spelling is so bad even spell check can't figure that word out)

I have made many bags using the pet screen. You can google it and come up with a few places. I do know that Sew and Quilt Shop in Florida has it and she will ship. She has all colors. If you don't see it on the web site just call. Each piece is enough to make one large bag and if cut right you can make a small trinket bag. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by b.zang
    What a relief to look at this post and realize I don't know the answers!

I hesitated to look, wondering if I wanted to classify myself as an "older folk".

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D ;-)
    It's strange that I automatically opened that topic. I guess at 50, I consider myself in that category. When did that happen?

Blog Entries
    Oh, have you read the latest medical news? Severe morning sickness is now considered the mother is not drinking enough water/liquids and that will cause the abundance of hormones to bring on severe nausea. I was reading the medical journal in my Dr. office. I'm going to subscribe. It's fascinating and we never hear about this stuff. I asked my Dr. why it was in the exam room not in his office or by his reading chair.

Washing with coke was every wives dream to a fisherman ,it got the smell of his fishing job out of his work clothes. My ex used to long line out in the Bering Sea and the coke did the trick with washing powder too.

try 79 - and don't any of you dare call me an old lady!
    Remember that song that ends - "if you remember, that deary you're much older that I"?

Quote Originally Posted by ncsewer
    Quote Originally Posted by b.zang
    What a relief to look at this post and realize I don't know the answers!

I hesitated to look, wondering if I wanted to classify myself as an "older folk".

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D ;-)
    I'm with you, praying I didn't know the answer was good in this case!! :thumbup:
    Amen to that!!

Those $100.00 pair of jeans that have rips and tears in them.
    They have been advertising here that they will buy your old jeans for $10.-$20.00. I laughed because they didnt get many offers. I mean who would seriously give up there jeans once they are all broke in.?? Are they sick??
    And it isn't the cola the puts all those holes in truckers jeans. Its the antifreeze the wipe off the hands on their jeans. Ha ha ha Some times the grime and grease.
    I never heard of using cola to clean the bugs off the windshield. U sure that was how it worked? Sticky stuff. When you don't have water or windex I guess you use what you have right.

MNM

Those totes were all the rage around our area for a while.
    We all got the screen at our local OSH, it was very wide and cost a lot less than any fabric store. It is used for re-screening .
    I think our quilting group made over 2 dozen of the totes.
    Lots of fun, but I found my machine did not like feeding the screen and would hang up sometimes.
    Glad you found it.

MNM

I didnt know Coke would remove fish odors from clothes! I wonder if it would remove the smell of diesel fuel. My husband is retired now but he used to get fuel on his jeans at work. I never could get rid of the smell.

I know they use Coke to clean battery posts.

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
    Just so you know, Coke was originally made to clean car engines so it does a lot in the way of cutting through grease and other such stuff. I would think it also would soft the jeans, not so much by removing the dye as softening the fabric fibers.

We used it a lot in the shop to clean battery cables when they were croded from battery acid. (sorry , my spelling is so bad even spell check can't figure that word out)
    You're being silly right? It was actually medicine laced with cocaine. The doctor who formulated it sold the formula which was then diluted with carbonated water. And my 13yr old did a test for his science project where he put old baby teeth (his and his brothers. I was ok with this) in different drinks. He used Coke, Monster, Gatorade, orange juice, and water. The Gatorade tooth fell apart! Crumbled to sand size particles. The Coke one just got brown.

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    I have never heard of washing fabric with coke but looking at what it does to a penny is scary.
    Have you ever seen what "Skin-So-Soft" by Avon is capable of doing???? LOL

Skin so soft????????? I LOVE that stuff, but WHAT does it do????????

KR
    I don't know about washing jeans, but when I was a child my folks would pour a bottle of Coke over the car windshield to clean/de-grease it during a rainstorm.

As for the mesh fabric....Wal-Mart has the mesh laundry bags for about $1.50. They are a pretty good size, too.

Power Poster
    I thought our stomachs naturally produced some kind of acid to help break down foods for digestion.

We were so tickled to get anything that was brand new, that we wouldn't dream of hacking it up.

The stiff new jeans were washed and washed the first few times to soften them up before wearing.

Don't know what anti-freeze does to clothing, but I do know that battery acid will put holes in denim.

This is the first time I've heard of Coke (does Pepsi work as well?) being used as a fabric softener or window cleaner.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast