Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Questions, Questions, Questions

Questions, Questions, Questions

Hey gang.
    I have a pattern for a bag that is really cute, but I want to make the ruffles a little bigger. The pattern for the ruffle is a circle with an oblong circle that stretches to make the ruffle open out to fit the strip. (confused?) What I want to know is: If I make the outer circle larger will that make the ruffles longer so that they are looser? I wish I knew how to make a diagram, but technically challenged is my middle name.
    Can anyone help before I just try it on my own and make a mess?

Blog Entries
    I think it is the depth that needs extending. Try with a sheet of paper. Not to sure what an oblong circle looks like.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    I think it is the depth that needs extending. Try with a sheet of paper. Not to sure what an oblong circle looks like.
    An oblong circle is an oval.

Which pattern is it? Why or why wouldn't one just ruffle a strip? No way would I cut out circles to "ruffle". Lots of fabric waste IMHO. I would love to see the pattern cover.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I have never done a bag with that type of ruffle but I did extend a circle (used as the bottom ruffle) several inches for an apron pattern for my daughter who is tall and wanted the apron longer. Take a piece of muslin and cut a new ruffle the size you are thinking of and pin it on to see if it will work. Not sure if this advise will help any but give it a shot.

Cutting a ruffle from a circle allows it to "coil".

I would like to see the pattern. For my info.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

If you are unsure, you can use newspaper or old muslin to make the ruffle any width/length you want, and play with it before you commit to cutting your fabric.

Dottymo oblong circle was my very own play on words. The whole thing looks like a flat football. I think I figured it out with some scraps, will TRY to post a pic when done, this bag is really adorable and I had to have one for myself.

"Cutting a ruffle from a circle makes it coil" and that is exactly what I want it to do. I drew one on graph paper, and it is going to be ok. I am anxious to show you guys the finished piece. Hang on, Dr for daughter today, but tomorrow is mine and I am going to spend the whole day in the sewing room. Finally have a little help for one day, and I am going to take advantage of it. (Locking the door)

Thank you all for the suggestions