Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Questions, Questions, Questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/questions-questions-questions-t267377.html)

IBQUILTIN 07-08-2015 10:18 PM

Questions, Questions, Questions

Hey gang.
I have a pattern for a bag that is really cute, but I want to make the ruffles a little bigger. The pattern for the ruffle is a circle with an oblong circle that stretches to make the ruffle open out to fit the strip. (confused?) What I want to know is: If I make the outer circle larger will that make the ruffles longer so that they are looser? I wish I knew how to make a diagram, but technically challenged is my middle name.
Can anyone help before I just try it on my own and make a mess?

DOTTYMO 07-08-2015 10:57 PM

I think it is the depth that needs extending. Try with a sheet of paper. Not to sure what an oblong circle looks like.

paoberle 07-09-2015 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 7251687)
I think it is the depth that needs extending. Try with a sheet of paper. Not to sure what an oblong circle looks like.

An oblong circle is an oval.

Sandygirl 07-09-2015 04:44 AM

Which pattern is it? Why or why wouldn't one just ruffle a strip? No way would I cut out circles to "ruffle". Lots of fabric waste IMHO. I would love to see the pattern cover.

sandy

QuiltNama 07-09-2015 06:36 AM

I have never done a bag with that type of ruffle but I did extend a circle (used as the bottom ruffle) several inches for an apron pattern for my daughter who is tall and wanted the apron longer. Take a piece of muslin and cut a new ruffle the size you are thinking of and pin it on to see if it will work. Not sure if this advise will help any but give it a shot.

lindaschipper 07-10-2015 05:22 AM

Cutting a ruffle from a circle allows it to "coil".

Sandygirl 07-10-2015 07:03 AM

I would like to see the pattern. For my info. :)
sandy

donna13350 07-10-2015 08:18 AM

If you are unsure, you can use newspaper or old muslin to make the ruffle any width/length you want, and play with it before you commit to cutting your fabric.

IBQUILTIN 07-10-2015 09:56 AM

Dottymo oblong circle was my very own play on words. The whole thing looks like a flat football. I think I figured it out with some scraps, will TRY to post a pic when done, this bag is really adorable and I had to have one for myself.

IBQUILTIN 07-10-2015 09:59 AM

"Cutting a ruffle from a circle makes it coil" and that is exactly what I want it to do. I drew one on graph paper, and it is going to be ok. I am anxious to show you guys the finished piece. Hang on, Dr for daughter today, but tomorrow is mine and I am going to spend the whole day in the sewing room. Finally have a little help for one day, and I am going to take advantage of it. (Locking the door)