Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 questions for older folks maybe

Banned
    If coke will destroy fabric perhaps that is what the manufacturers use to wash those $100 jeans.

I have used a can of coke in the crockpot as an ingredient to yummy BBQ.

A window screen shop should be able to help you. There has been a demand for it locally here on the CA Central Coast in recent years so Betty's Fabrics carries it now, but it's more expensive than from the screen shop, and not as many colors.

I remember a neighbor whose husband did real greazy work and his clothes were awful. She would wash them with a can of coke and they would come clean. no grease at all. They were really soft but I thought that was age.

My sister was in the hospital recently and I heard the doctor outside the room talking to someone on the phone and she said "I have this elderly patient" and went on with enough details that I knew she was talking about my sister. She was 66 and I was 65. I looked at her and asked her if she was elderly and she said "I didn't used to think so but lately have begun to wonder". She is battling cancer. I told her she could be elderly but I wasn't. The nurse said "actually elderly is considered at 65." I still don't classify myself as elderly so wasn't meaning anything disrespectful to any of the "Young chicks" out there.

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieSkelly
    Great selection and wider than what I got at the quilt shop in Philadelphia for 8.99 or 9.99 a yard, but still kinda pricey and there might be some wasted as you don't need a piece as wide, but with all the patterns I am sure I could figure out what to do with the leftovers....BUT they are sold out! BooHoo :thumbdown:

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by b.zang
    What a relief to look at this post and realize I don't know the answers!

I hesitated to look, wondering if I wanted to classify myself as an "older folk".

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D ;-)
    Yep, I am wiping my brow with relief also. lol

Thanks to all who responded. Sometime just one word change nets great results. I found it at Erica's. It was 8.99 yard and she has it in colors. I have ordered from her before and she is prompt.

Sculpyfan, I'm sure no offense was taken. We're just having a bit of fun. I've heard that old is always 10 years older than you are. I have a friend who is 72 and she seems younger than some of my 50+ year old friends. To me old is when you start looking back more than looking forward.

I like what someone else said on this board, "I am what I am and I am happy!"
    Hugs{{{ }}}

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Ohmygosh - I was only kidding. Hope you know that.

Last night I went through some old pictures and came face-to-face with my youth. Needless to say, I was wondering where that young chick had gone to.

OOO, she called me a young chick. I'll take it ;-)

I inherited a cast iron dutch oven w/lid and it was so rusty I wasn't sure if we'd ever be able to use it but letting it soak in straight coca cole for a few days and it was like new. Kinda scary that we drink the stuff, huh?
    I wonder if it will harm our washing machines.......

You can get the mesh for beach bags, etc. at the Quilted Cottage in Saginaw, MI. Their phone number is 989-790-3123 and their web site is: quiltedcottage.net It comes in all colors and they really make cute bags.

Blog Entries
    I can't believe coke cola can be used for so many things. I have poured it on my car battery posts to remove the buildup.

Blog Entries
    I tried to order this tote & go pattern, but when I go to checkout I get a blank screen.

Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    I am currently making one of those tote bags. Isn't that a coincidence? My pattern is called The Tote & Go an comes in 2 sizes. It is available here: http://store.cottage-quilts.com/stor...3&Item_ID=8548

I got some blue mesh at a quilt store in Exton, PA called the Quilt Block. My youngest DD decided she wanted one also to take back to NZ. So I wanted more pet screen. I tried everywhere, but while the quilt shop in Exton had 5 colors, no LQS around had it. I called the lady in Exton and she said although, she doesn't normally ship, she would consider doing so if I couldn't find it anywhere. She did tell me that she had heard you could get Pet Screen, or nylon screen for repairing screens at hardware stores. I went to a local hardware store and found it in black, identical to the weight that I got at the LQS, And it was wider and cheaper. They only had it in black, but that is what my daughter wanted anyway. This store didn't call it pet screen, just nylon window screen replacement screen.

Hope this helps.
    Coke will clean the crud off the battery post on your car. Funny you posted about the window screen. I found this pattern the other day for the beach bag & my 1st thought was I bet that roll of screen I have would work great.

http://members.tripod.com/~Barefoot_lass/cola.html

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    I have found pet screen at Wal Mart (black only) and made 3 bags from one roll. I use the "Screen Play" by Nancy Ota pattern. I also use the 1" web you can buy at JA's for the handles rather than using the cut off part of the screen. I leave that on the piece of screen and get a deeper bag for shopping. The pattern is for sizes S-XL. I usually make size M for my shopping bag and have made an XL for sewing stuff (25" W by 18" tall finished). I use the heavy duty cardboard for the bottom (triple thick like appliances come in) and read once using #7 plastic cross-stitch canvas can be used to give extra strenghth in the bottom also.

I have brought home colored screen from Zoe's Trunk in AZ when I visit a friend there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela J
    http://members.tripod.com/~Barefoot_lass/cola.html
    Thanks Pamela. Cute read. Some I knew some I didn't. I do kn ow I would not have made it thru 3 pregancys with out a strong fountain coca cola cause I had morning sickness that would killl a horse.

Hancock's sometimes carries the "pet mesh".

I found a free pattern the other day but for the life of me I can't find it right now but I looked at the for sale patterns & any tote pattern with a bottom will do for this. Henriettas Handbags & purses has a ton of free purse patterns. www.henriettashandbags.com

I know it's good for cleaning the toilet - or is that more info than you need!!

Don't know about Coke, but when my late husband was in the Coast Guard, if they got new jeans, they would tie them to the ship and throw them overboard in the salt water for a couple of hours and he said they were really soft when they pulled them it.

there are no older folks on this board. only smarter ones. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast