Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice to a new quilter - >

Advice to a new quilter -

Advice to a new quilter -

Old 09-06-2015, 04:29 PM

If you find a fabric you love, buy a LOT more than just one yard!!! Buy at least two yards but three yards is better!

When you buy a gorgeous fabric, try to buy at least one other fabric that goes with it.

I have too many one-yard cuts of gorgeous fabric, which coordinate with nothing!
Old 09-06-2015, 04:50 PM

Neesie, I love your dog picture I have a black and tan dachshund 4 years old I bought him in texas. I like your post also I live in ok.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by bignan 1935 View Post
Neesie, I love your dog picture I have a black and tan dachshund 4 years old I bought him in texas. I like your post also I live in ok.
Thank you! I'd love to see a picture of your pup!
My avatar is Phoebe, when she was still a pup. She turned 13 years old, this past April.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by fxtrtr View Post
I had to smile to myself as I read these posts. When I announced on Facebook I was going to try quilting, I got a reply back from a friend that I could make a baby quilt as my practice piece for a friend of hers. She offered $10 towards the materials. I declined.
How very generous of her. ;p(
Old 09-07-2015, 04:35 AM

I have learned that I really do have to read directions. When I look at a picture of a block and just start sewing, that is when I find I've made something backwards and have to rip. That is what I have to do yet again on a quilt for my future daughter-in-law! Read, read, read and then attempt to sew.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:13 AM

What a great thread, I've learned a few of these myself. My biggest one is to make a quilt I want to make and if I want to give one away, let them choose from the ones I've already finished. It never works for me to make someone a quilt. Either I don't like the pattern, colors or person. One I wish I had learned. To photograph every quilt and print out the photo. I keep saying I'm going to do that and just seem to keep a running list on my iPhone.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:00 AM

Be SURE to buy enough of fabric for particular project!! Never know if it runs out and can't find it anywhere else!
Old 09-07-2015, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
If you find a fabric you love, buy a LOT more than just one yard!!! Buy at least two yards but three yards is better!

When you buy a gorgeous fabric, try to buy at least one other fabric that goes with it.

I have too many one-yard cuts of gorgeous fabric, which coordinate with nothing!
I always buy 3 to 5 yards if it is drop dead gorgeous! I will be taking your advice to buy a coordinating fabric! I've been stuck a few times without anything to go with the DDG fabric!
Old 09-07-2015, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Pretty much ditto on everyone's post. When I made a comment on social media I was working on couple small baby quilts, lots of requests and need by deadlines. Sorry not doing any requests and absolutely no deadlines (enough of those required in real estate). So my terms, my pace. I love quilting just don't do as much as everyone else. I still have other things regarding life that comes first, like family. And I get on this board and sometimes forget time and don't know when to get on to other things. LOL!
Old 09-07-2015, 06:37 AM

My main things, is learning to say no. But like all things there are many ways to do it. With quilts, especially that cousin who has not spoken to me since we were teenagers (50 years) I have learned to say "I will gladly add you to my list LOL, just be aware the list is long" (and ever changing LOL). After a year, she had the nerve to post on Facebook that she was still waiting, I just laughed.