Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on purchasing used Innova? >

Advice on purchasing used Innova?

Advice on purchasing used Innova?

Old 05-26-2016, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

Question Advice on purchasing used Innova?

I have a Voyager 17 on Hinterberg frame, but my dream machine for years has been an Innova. There is currently a used one for sale that is a four-hour drive away from me. Have been emailing the seller, who is moving and unable to take the setup with her. Here are the specs for her setup with the prices she quoted (which I assume were list prices in 2011, not necessarily what she actually paid):

22" head ($18,000) with lightning stitch ($3,995) and 12' aluminum frame ($10,995) purchased in 2011. Power feed advance ($1,750), crosshatch rule ($435), electric channel locks (875), industrial bobbin winder ($275), Towa gauge ($65). Miscellaneous threads and pantos. I have seen photo's of the setup and it looks very clean.

I do not see myself as ever doing quilting as a business; this is just for personal use. I am 70 years old and I see myself as remaining fit enough to stand at a frame for a couple of hours a day for the next 10 years. I realize that a 26" head is needed to add Auto Pilot. I really do not see myself ever wanting Auto Pilot (unless I suddenly become extremely rich, in which case I would replace the entire setup anyway!). Probably my biggest concern is regarding resale value of the 22" head down the road, if I need to sell.

Anyway, I am dithering because this is such a big chunk of money for us at this time in our lives. Aside from other comments, I would appreciate suggestions about fair value for a used setup like this. How much would YOU pay for a setup like this?

Last edited by Prism99; 05-26-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:32 PM

The prices you have given are what it would have cost in 2011?

What is she asking for it now? Can you afford the asking price, especially once you sell your current set up? If you can afford the Innova, I would encourage you to buy it. It does not matter what I, or anyone else, would pay, my financial situation is different from your own.

And as far as your age goes, you are unique and your health and whether or not you have to sell your own home in the future will determine how many years you are able to use it. When you are no longer benefitting from the machine, you can sell it on to another quilter who will get years of enjoyment out of it.

I am looking at purchasing a demo model APQS one of the 2016 models, that has been used in shows. http://sparrowstudioz.blogspot.ca/20...-quilting.html for $17,300, with full warranty. Although truth be told I will likely be purchasing a demo machine this time next year. My summer is far too busy to allow me the time necessary to learn to use a new machine.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

I just realized the seller made a mistake when she typed those prices, as I found another post of hers online that says she paid >$18,000 for the setup. So, ignore the prices I typed in the original post! Just figure that it is a 22" Innova with lightning stitch, 12' frame, power feed advance, electric channel locks, and crosshatch ruler. Bobbin winder, Towa gauge, threads and pantos also included. Her current price is $11,500 delivered (but not set up). I would have to drive 4 hours to test drive the machine (a hard drive for me), plus without setup I can't be sure that some important part wasn't missing. So, my current thinking is to just make use of my Voyager. It's just that used Innova's do not come up for sale very often......
Old 05-26-2016, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

That is a real hard decision. When we are at our age, you never know when something health wise will prevent you from standing. I would be scared to make any big investment at our age.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:00 PM

I have a 22" innovative with lightning stitch, 12' frame, and pantovision vision. I bought a demo machine and would have jumped at a chance to get the machine you are interested in! I love my Innova! It is a well built machine and the frame is very sturdy.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:06 PM

Innova, not innovative! Lol
Old 05-26-2016, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

I have heard nothing but good things about the Innovas. She will have to come down in price as she has been using the machine since 2011. BUT that said: If it makes you happy (and you sound downright giddy about it) AND money is not an option, why not treat yourself? Nobody knows how long we are able to do the craft that we love so much. Enjoy it while you can.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

I have a very basic 26" Innova, standard stitch regulator, 12' frame, purchased about 6 years ago, new. (This was before lightning stitch came out, and although I have test driven machines with lightning stitch I don't feel that I need it.) I am very satisfied with my purchase, and I do recommend the 26" machine over the 22". I haven't heard much praise of the crosshatch bar, and I feel that the channel locks are not a necessity, although they would be nice to have. (I don't have them.) I also don't use the Towa gauge and have no problems setting tension without it. That said, I think that the asking price is probably reasonable for a machine with lightning stitch, if that's what you want. If it didn't have lightning stitch then I think it would be a bit high.

If I intended to purchase the machine I would make the trip, test it out, write out a check, and then take it apart myself and drive it home. This isn't because of worry about something being missing, but because taking the frame apart gives you great insight into how to put it back together. (Alternatively, you could ask to be there while they dismantle the frame, if you have no way of transporting it.) I took my frame apart by myself about 1.5 years ago, stored it for about 6 months, and then put it back together mostly by myself (with help from my son positioning the long poles and leveling it). And I'm your age.

You might try to find a dealer who is willing to test out the machine, and even do the setup, for a reasonable fee. Personally, I would wait for a 26" to be available, but many people are happy with the 22".
Old 05-26-2016, 05:35 PM

I would buy my Innova again in a heartbeat! This is my FOURTH machine (not my 4th Innova! I had 3 DIFF ones before this)..and it should have been my first (never mind that they didn't MAKE them when I purchased my first system) The customer service is primo. There is literally a PERSON who would answer the phone in the middle of the night...If you have any questions, please ask them here or PM me. I found 2 dealers in WI, but not sure if they are close to you. Google Innova dealer Western WI. I didn't want the 26 inch as its too much of a stretch for me and I knew I never wanted a computer.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:07 PM

As suggested...go, test drive with checkbook and rent a truck...if you like, write check, take pics, take apart marking key pieces with marked masking tape...load up truck and smile all the way home....that's what I did when I bought my apps many yrs ago...and it and me are still going strong!!!!.... Oh, by the way..also call mfgr and let them know you are the new owner.......good luck...