Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice Really Welcome! >

Advice Really Welcome!

Advice Really Welcome!

Old 06-01-2015, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Unlearn the art of self-criticism, it is very crippling. Now do a little practice sandwich, and off you go!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:19 AM

I agree with Mariposa.....shoulders down.....deep breath and just jump in!

All I can tell you is to "do your best" and it will be fine. After you get a few quilts under your belt, you will notice that "your best" just keeps looking better and better. The mistakes are little surprises that prove that the quilt is made by a human being (not an automated robot). If you do your best, are proud of your work and ENJOY yourself.......you will be fine. Go for it.....you can do it!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:42 PM

Do another practice piece and then straight away move on to the quilt, it will get your mind in the right mood - have fun
Old 06-01-2015, 09:11 PM

I was just this point yesterday myself,new walking foot and all. I think the wavey line is a great idea because I struggled all over the place trying to find a spot on the walking foot to line up with. do practice with the walking foot before you start out I was surprised, and need to do a lot of "remove all."
Old 06-01-2015, 10:27 PM

Wear a pair of gloves ie like gardening gloves with grip. They will stop your hands slipping as you move the quilt. I found my first time the weight kept pulling the quilt. Now adays love free motion and I wear my gardening gloves on both or one hand depending on quilt.
I did one quilt listening to a tennis match with serve and back and forwards , then serve back and forth.

great free motion and I liked the match as well.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:46 AM

I have read that it takes about 8 hours of FMQ to get the feel of everything. Don't do it all at once. Your brain is building up memory so go with it. Eventually you will do the quilting automatically. Enjoy the process and remember--don't watch the needle; it's not going anywhere. Watch where you are going next and enjoy the process.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:03 AM

Just remember we all have to crawl before we can walk. Finished is better than perfect. Only thing is to jump in and surprise yourself. Best of luck and above all - have fun.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:32 AM

We all have to start somewhere. I happen to love wavy-line quilting. Once you stitch that first line, you've got it made ... believe me. I'm sure you will do a great job.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:09 AM

Wow, so many kind replies, thank you! Imbued with all your confidence, I made a start... Well, I have the quilt sandwiched (I wasn't expecting it to be such a struggle - I suspect something that gets easier with time, shouldn't have tried on a bigger quilt first, I guess!), and I have a single wavy line stitched roughly across the middle of the quilt: the stitching looks fine - but the colour of the thread looks all wrong now!! I spent so long trying to find a neutral pinky colour that would blend in with the fabrics I used, but that line seems to jump out: I am going to leave it overnight before I make any decisions...

Hope your fmq goes well, jonese!
Old 06-02-2015, 07:48 AM

Go for it! Too much planning can kill creativity - you'll expect it to come out perfect according to plan. Play it by ear. Let the music flow naturally and it will be perfect no matter how it comes out!