Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice Welcome on WOF Strip Cutting with Sizzix Big Shot Pro >

Advice Welcome on WOF Strip Cutting with Sizzix Big Shot Pro

Advice Welcome on WOF Strip Cutting with Sizzix Big Shot Pro

Old 01-06-2012, 11:37 AM

Default Advice Welcome on WOF Strip Cutting with Sizzix Big Shot Pro

HI--I want to cut out some WOF border strips using the Sizzix BSP and am a little nervous about folding fabric to get a continuous length (strip dies measure width-of-strip x 25", but I need width-of-strip x 42-44"). Have spent hours reviewing Sizzix posts here and elsewhere and know I have seen a video that offers advice on how to fold fabric on the dies to achieve full-length cuts, but I can't seem to find it now.

Any advice on how best to fold fabric for cutting, minimize 'waves', and/or any other issues common to strip-die cutting?

TIA & HNY
Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a Sizzix, but I assume it works in a similar way to the Accuquilt Go! that I have. I simply take the fabric fold as it came off the bolt and use that. I have marked lines on my die that run perpendicular to the die blades, and place the fabric fold along one of those marked lines near the end of the die. This gives full-width (42-44") cut strips.

I precut the fabric length so it is just a little wider than the die (1/2" to 1" wider).

When rolling the fabric and die through, I find that I need to stop at least once midway to lift up the mat and pull the fabric straight. This is because the roller is pushing against the crossgrain, which is stretchier than the lengthwise grain. Sometimes I make two stops to do this. Otherwise I end up with creases in the strips that I need to iron out (the "waves").

With my Go!, I can cut 4 layers at a time with the strip cutter (2 strips of fabric at a time, since the fabric is folded).
Old 01-06-2012, 08:59 PM

Thank you so much for these guidelines. When you stop midway to lift up the mat, how do you do that? Do you gently lift/reposition the mat/fabric with the die tray in place (to the spot under the rollers you cranked it to) or do you back out the tray and sandwich, and then lift/reposition and re-crank? ...I am just amazed the strips can come out straight folded like that, with or without ironing any waves. Thanks again for the advice and confirmation it can be done--guess I will start experimenting with muslin.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

I just lift the mat with the die tray in place and gently pull on the fabric. I don't roll back or anything, and the mat does not have to be lifted completely -- just enough to allow the fabric to be pulled straight.

Marking placement lines on the die helps a lot. I used a black permanent Sharpie marker and a rule. Many people like the silver Sharpie but I didn't have one onhand.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:30 PM

Those perpendicular guidelines are a great idea. Have already incorporated that . Wish me luck and thanks again!