Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on wallhanging quilting and binding... >

Advice on wallhanging quilting and binding...

Advice on wallhanging quilting and binding...

Old 04-02-2017, 08:42 PM

love, love,love those blocks! Have something saved in EQ7 that is similar. I would either bind in white or use a facing (turning the borders to the back would probably do this--just google facings on quilts) If you do keep the borders on, I'd do some type of quilting that is really geometric using straight lines. Maybe even just long lines that overlap at the intersections. And PaperPrincess is right on target with weights (washer is what I've used in curtains). Can't wait to see it totally finished!
Old 04-04-2017, 10:04 AM

love your wall hanging
Old 04-04-2017, 10:53 AM
RST

I would continue the pebbling quilting for all the white portions, blocks, borders and sashing. I think that having a different quilting texture/design would get busy and detract from the pop of color you are going for.

I would probably keep the border and just add a binding, probably a solid, though it could be fun to make every join a design opportunity and put a small block of color at random places. I would audition the various binding options and photograph -- then take a look at them on a computer screen and see what looks best to you.

A trick that can help with getting a wall hanging to lie flat and hang well -- before you bind it, go around the edges with a wide zig zag stitching to secure the layers, wash it, then dry it flat, and block it out nice and square. If you have some distortion, you can trim it up at this point. then add your binding and hanging sleeve (consider placing a sleeve top and bottom and putting a dowel in the bottom to weight it. It will also allow you to switch which end is up, which can reduce wear and possible fading. I've also been known to encourage a wavy wallhanging to straighten up by using a few strategically placed old sewing machine needles directly through the quilt and into the wall at various points. The tip of a needle doesn't make a hole worth noticing in the wall, and obviously it's been through the quilt sandwich many times with no drama, so unless the safety of children or pets is an issue, I find it a good way to recycle old needles.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:04 AM

If you decided to use a color binding, I would go with the aqua because that is the center block and equal distance on all sides. I'm not OCD or anything, but I think not having that balance would bother me in this instance. I also feel that a black or charcoal might detract from the blocks, however, a gray that matches your wall color would blend in.
Good luck in whatever you decide. Your blocks are striking and beautifully done!!
Old 04-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

You could do different size pebbles. Smaller in the middle and larger on the border.
I think it needs the border.
I also think it needs a binding from one of the darker colors (blue or purple).

....and it is very pretty.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:10 AM

Thanks, everyone. You've given me lots to think about and I never even considered that making a long, skinny quilt could make it hang wonky, so thanks for those tips!

I've quilted one block with pebbles and so far, so good.

Still undecided about the borders and sashing, but I'm actually thinking I may do random short lengths of satin stitch "sticks" at odd angles here and there in white thread, to echo the sticks in the blocks. Going to try a sample first.

Watson