advise on my flannel throw......... >

advise on my flannel throw.........

advise on my flannel throw.........

Old 10-14-2011, 06:58 PM

rag quilt
Old 10-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by girliegirl
I have a flannel square throw that I pieced together and i am going to border it and then put a flannel back on it.... I have batting for it.. Question now is should I attempt to machine quilt it with a stitch in the ditch? or just go corner to corner or should i just knot it with buttons that match it and finish it up with binding ??? I have never machine quilted... will this be too heavy for a first?? my binding is flannel as well.............or should i leave out the batting?
Of course, you can quilt it yourself ... just se t your mind to it and go for it!

Without knowing the pattern you've chosen, I don't know if this might work. On one flannelette quilt I saw, they had quilted free form designs ... 5 point star, just done the zig zag way we would draw; happy face; outlines of animals; and I forget what else was on there. It looked good, and took away from the traditional quilting.

Though, as your first machine quilted project ..... what would you feel more comfortable in doing? SITD? cross hatches? or?
Old 10-14-2011, 07:12 PM

I agree, no batting for sure
Old 10-14-2011, 08:16 PM

Flannel quilts are the most popular quilts in my house! Flannel top, flannel back, and W&N batting. One was an offset brick pattern, that one is quilted in X's across each brick, has an interesting pattern on the back. Another is 9-patches set on point, I simply machine-quilted straight lines down and across.

My personal preference about the buttons - I don't like them. My hair gets caught in them, they catch on my pockets and blouse plackets, I just find them annoying.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:22 PM

Every time I think of something to ask about, someone already has an answer. haha I was just thinking today if a flannel quilt needed batting.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Power Poster

i've made many queen & king sized flannel quilts (they are very popular up here during our cold winters.
i always use batting- usually dream cotton or warm & natural- the one on my bed actually has dream wool batting.
they make wonderful fluffy, cozy, warm quilts!
if you choose to use batting read the packaging--and buy one that meets your plan for finishing- some need to be quilted heavily- you probably don't want to use one of those-
if you want to tie it- then choose a batt that says (good for tied quilts)
or one that allows up to 10 inches between quilting lines.

flannel quilt with dream cotton batting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]271502[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271449.jpe  
Old 10-15-2011, 01:51 AM
Power Poster

hmmm
i have to wonder why everytime i add a picture i wind up with a double post ???
so sorry- it has happened again- 3rd time this week

flannel quilt with dream cotton batting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]271504[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271451.jpe  
Old 10-15-2011, 02:10 AM

I meander my flannel quilts and also my jean quilts with no problem. I do use a jean needle on my jean quilts.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:12 AM

If you use warn and natural it will be lighter. I have never had any problems. I love flannel and its too cold in the winter here not to have batting.
Originally Posted by clynns
I made a rag quilt using flannel on the front and back plus batting. TOO HEAVY. It is so heavy, I had to take it to the laundermat to wash it, use a water extractor to get the water out and it still wouldn't spin the water out. If your using flannel, I'd skip the batting. It will be warm enough without using batting. Me and the woman who ran the laundermat had to twist it to try to wring out the water. It took $4.50 to dry. (wasn't all the way dry). I gave it away shortly after. I spent big bucks on making it, and was so disappointed that it wasn't practical to clean that I gave it away. It was too big (large twin size)to take apart and take the batting out.