Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: After the paper pieced blocks are done...

Blog Entries
    I hope to be done with my blocks in a couple of weeks and will need to get the quilt finished quickly after that (wedding gift). I've read that you should leave the paper on while you assemble the paper pieced blocks. When exactly do I remove the paper? After borders are added? Any special tricks to removing the paper - wet it? What else do I need to know? Tips, tricks and any other suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!

Blog Entries
    It depends on the pattern whether I leave the papers on while sewing them together. If there are bias edges, YES, it helps keep them from stretching. After I sew them together, I will remove the teeny tiny little triangles. You will see what I mean in the seam lines. They can get buried after sewing the rows together and can be difficult to remove later. The rest are easily removed later. I leave the papers alone to atleast the first border is on. Someimes until the whole top is together.
    I would think wetting the paper would make a mess. I use copy paper, I tear along one seam line, then fold it on the next, unfold and tear from an angle like you do paper out of a tablet. Don't be too aggressive, you can distort or loosen stitches.

Using a pair of tweezers can help remove the paper, also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    It depends on the pattern whether I leave the papers on while sewing them together. If there are bias edges, YES, it helps keep them from stretching. After I sew them together, I will remove the teeny tiny little triangles. You will see what I mean in the seam lines. They can get buried after sewing the rows together and can be difficult to remove later. The rest are easily removed later. I leave the papers alone to atleast the first border is on. Someimes until the whole top is together.
    I would think wetting the paper would make a mess. I use copy paper, I tear along one seam line, then fold it on the next, unfold and tear from an angle like you do paper out of a tablet. Don't be too aggressive, you can distort or loosen stitches.
    Good tip about removing the little ones in the seam lines. There are many triangles in this one, so I was concerned about the bias. I think I will leave on until the whole top is together with the borders. Here is a picture of the pattern I'm doing. It's by the Bottle Quilt Co.

Beach Cottages
    Name:  Attachment-58376.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  22.3 KB

When I foundation piece, I leave the paper on the back until I'm ready to put the quilt together. I "unpaper" one at the time, square it up if needed and put the seams together. Bias does stretch and that I'm not sure about.