Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
135 degree angle binding >

135 degree angle binding

135 degree angle binding

Old 12-12-2009, 12:02 PM

A friend just called asking if I know how to do a 135 degree angle binding. She is doing a table runner with a pattern that calls for that but cannot find the instructions. I looked on Utube but not finding anything there. Might some one know of a link that would give those instructions????
Old 12-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

All that means is that the binding fabric is to be cut on the bias rather than straight-of-grain. The only reasons to cut binding on the bias for a table runner are if: (1) the runner has curves, say at the corners, and/or (2) the binding is a striped fabric, to get the stripes running at an angle.

To cut a bias binding, you typically fold the fabric on the bias and then cut strips, making sure your ruler is 90 degrees to the fold (to prevent bends).

Straight-of-grain binding is cut at a 90 degree angle to the other straight-of-grain (crosswise or lengthwise; there are 2 straight-of-grains in fabric). Cutting the fabric at 135 degrees means cutting 135 degrees from the straight-of-grain, which means you are cutting on the true bias (which is exactly between 90 degrees and 180 degrees).

Hope this is understandable!
Old 12-12-2009, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
All that means is that the binding fabric is to be cut on the bias rather than straight-of-grain. The only reasons to cut binding on the bias for a table runner are if: (1) the runner has curves, say at the corners, and/or (2) the binding is a striped fabric, to get the stripes running at an angle.

To cut a bias binding, you typically fold the fabric on the bias and then cut strips, making sure your ruler is 90 degrees to the fold (to prevent bends).

Straight-of-grain binding is cut at a 90 degree angle to the other straight-of-grain (crosswise or lengthwise; there are 2 straight-of-grains in fabric). Cutting the fabric at 135 degrees means cutting 135 degrees from the straight-of-grain, which means you are cutting on the true bias (which is exactly between 90 degrees and 180 degrees).

Hope this is understandable!
Well I guess I may have worded it wrong. She has the binding made but its going on to the table runner with a 135 degree corners. On a regular binding you take it off the machine and turn it then start again where this you don't end and start you just keep going but there was special instructions on how to sew it on. Would you possibly know how to do that?
Thanks for the other instructions though. I'm going to print that out and hang on to it for future projects.
Thanks again
Old 12-12-2009, 12:48 PM

Is her table runner an octagon? The 135º binding just means there are outside angles in the shape of the finished piece. I wouldn't cut the binding on the bias for anything that is not curved. You miter outside angles, or any angle for that matter, the same way you do 90º angles. The binding is made the same way as usual.

When you fold the binding up at the corner, you line it up with the next edge of the quilt, same way you do when it's 90º. Make sure the fold bisects the angle at the corner before you bring the binding back down. (I usually pin it.) The top fold will NOT bisect the angle, but it should hit right at the point of the angle. Stitch through both folds and continue on to the next corner.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

There is a tute in the board Tutorial section on binding with odd angles :wink:
Old 12-12-2009, 04:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm sending her all the info gathered so hopefully she'll get the table runner done.
Merry Christmas