Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
All flannel quilt front and back >

All flannel quilt front and back

All flannel quilt front and back

Old 08-09-2011, 01:25 AM
Power Poster

i make lots of flannel quilts- and always wonder about those (rumors) that it stretches and warps...
i have not had that problem-
purchase good quality-double sided flannel-
if it is thin-limp it may stretch out of shape i suppose
a good quilt shop quality (benartex puts out the most wonderful flannels) is going to behave.
it does help to starch before cutting and use a sharp rotory blade- and new needle- flannels will dull both faster than other cottons.
if you find the flannels you are using do stretch- starch should take care of the problem (and a new blade)
Old 08-09-2011, 01:26 AM
Power Poster

fleece/cotton quilts are nice----but do not compare to the wonderful-soft-fluffy-warm - coziness of a flannel quilt a flannel quilt (like an old cotton quilt) just gets better and better- softer and softer- ahhhhhhh- so nice

Originally Posted by Toby's Mom
Why don't you use Fleece? I make regular cotton-top quilts, use poly batting, and fleece for the backing. Very warm. I donate these lap quilts to the Chemo therapy treatment center patients near me in honor of a friend who was treated successfully there. Patients are very appreciative and they are warmer than the blankets the Center hands out.
:thumbup:
Old 08-09-2011, 01:45 AM

I've never had a problem with flannel in my quilts. I usually make simple square or brick tops or rag quilts. They stay in shape after many washings!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:56 AM

So far I've only used flannel on the back of one quilt. Loved working with it. I bought Moda Marbles and it was awesome fabric. And I don't really care for the cotton Moda Marbles (don't like the texture of the 'marbles'). But the flannel was delicious! Would highly recommend their line of flannel. I am a prewasher and did so with the flannel as well. I had to piece the backing and had no issues with stretching at all. Would love to do an all-flannel quilt at some point. And I always use W&N and hand quilt.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

Before cutting, measure, wash, dry and re-measure. Keep washing, drying and measuring until it stops shrinking. May take 2-3 washings before it stops shrinking, but each time the fabric will get thicker and softer. Then when it's shrunk & soft, starch the heck out of it!!! When you pin the sandwich be careful to smooth out the wrinkles from the top and backing as it will grab the cotton batting.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

i would suggest washing your flannel first for shrinkage
Old 08-14-2011, 03:43 AM

I agree prewash...it does shrink and will pull apart your stitches if you do not prewash first...I love, love using flannel so warm and cozy.
Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
But flannel shrinks quite a lot. Maybe if it's all flannel, pre-washing is not so important, but it's in my head very strongly that flannel must be pre-washes.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:50 AM

Sounds like you have a lot of good input here. I also prewash, and think the flannels work up well. I've had no trouble using it for top and back of a quilt. In fact, for baby quilts, I usually use it for both.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:05 AM

I've made 4 flannel quilts and I used flannel for the batting - the flannel batting makes the whole quilt "supple" - no stiffness to it even after heavy/dense quilting.

I've made 1 with just squares (placed diagonally in color match), 2 with squares and rectangles, and one with squares and rectangles on point so there were setting triangles involved and I added a diamond border. Pic of the last is below.

Did not have undue problems with stretching, and it was a bit of a bonus when I had to do the border to get it to meet right at the corners :)

I pre-washed and dried a few times before I cut.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-241535.jpe  
Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 AM

Thank you all for the good advice.