Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: All flannel quilt front and back

I really want to make an all flannel quilt for my daughter who lives in a very cold climate. Flannel front and back with warm and natural batting. I know the flannel tends to stretch and warp. Any suggestions on how to handle this? Thanks in advance.

I made a "bricks and mortar" quilt out of all flannel. It is just squares and rectangles, so there are no bias edges to worry about stretching. I would recommend a pattern similar to that to avoid the stretching.

The other good pattern for flannel are the raggedy quilts. They make up very soft and warm.

Blog Entries
    I have not had any problems using flannel on my quilts.

dont use small peaces buy good quality flannel and starch it youl be fine.

Blog Entries
    I have made lots of flannel quilts front and back and never have I ever starched it or had any problems with the material stretching. they work up really nice. I generally use 8 in squares and do around the world or a diagonal. they turn out really nice and warm. use the regular batting from Joann's. I buy it by the roll. Still have 2 rolls of the blue bag and 1 of the yellow bag.

Blog Entries
    But flannel shrinks quite a lot. Maybe if it's all flannel, pre-washing is not so important, but it's in my head very strongly that flannel must be pre-washes.

I have done all flannel with warm and natural, and I have made a rag quilt with quilting cotton on one side, good quality flannel on the other, and warm and natural in between, they have all turned out great! For rag quilts i do not starch. for the others i do lightly and then just am careful not to stretch.
    The flannel quilts are very popular!

Blog Entries
    I have made several rag quilts and no problems with stretching :thumbup:

I always wash and dry flannel before cutting and I have never had any problem with stretching. I have made rag quilts and other patterns with flannel and like working with it.

Why don't you use Fleece? I make regular cotton-top quilts, use poly batting, and fleece for the backing. Very warm. I donate these lap quilts to the Chemo therapy treatment center patients near me in honor of a friend who was treated successfully there. Patients are very appreciative and they are warmer than the blankets the Center hands out.

Blog Entries
    i make lots of flannel quilts- and always wonder about those (rumors) that it stretches and warps...
    i have not had that problem-
    purchase good quality-double sided flannel-
    if it is thin-limp it may stretch out of shape i suppose
    a good quilt shop quality (benartex puts out the most wonderful flannels) is going to behave.
    it does help to starch before cutting and use a sharp rotory blade- and new needle- flannels will dull both faster than other cottons.
    if you find the flannels you are using do stretch- starch should take care of the problem (and a new blade)

Blog Entries
    fleece/cotton quilts are nice----but do not compare to the wonderful-soft-fluffy-warm - coziness of a flannel quilt a flannel quilt (like an old cotton quilt) just gets better and better- softer and softer- ahhhhhhh- so nice

Quote Originally Posted by Toby's Mom
    Why don't you use Fleece? I make regular cotton-top quilts, use poly batting, and fleece for the backing. Very warm. I donate these lap quilts to the Chemo therapy treatment center patients near me in honor of a friend who was treated successfully there. Patients are very appreciative and they are warmer than the blankets the Center hands out.
    :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I've never had a problem with flannel in my quilts. I usually make simple square or brick tops or rag quilts. They stay in shape after many washings!

So far I've only used flannel on the back of one quilt. Loved working with it. I bought Moda Marbles and it was awesome fabric. And I don't really care for the cotton Moda Marbles (don't like the texture of the 'marbles'). But the flannel was delicious! Would highly recommend their line of flannel. I am a prewasher and did so with the flannel as well. I had to piece the backing and had no issues with stretching at all. Would love to do an all-flannel quilt at some point. And I always use W&N and hand quilt.

Blog Entries
    Before cutting, measure, wash, dry and re-measure. Keep washing, drying and measuring until it stops shrinking. May take 2-3 washings before it stops shrinking, but each time the fabric will get thicker and softer. Then when it's shrunk & soft, starch the heck out of it!!! When you pin the sandwich be careful to smooth out the wrinkles from the top and backing as it will grab the cotton batting.

Power Poster
    i would suggest washing your flannel first for shrinkage

Blog Entries
    I agree prewash...it does shrink and will pull apart your stitches if you do not prewash first...I love, love using flannel so warm and cozy.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    But flannel shrinks quite a lot. Maybe if it's all flannel, pre-washing is not so important, but it's in my head very strongly that flannel must be pre-washes.

Sounds like you have a lot of good input here. I also prewash, and think the flannels work up well. I've had no trouble using it for top and back of a quilt. In fact, for baby quilts, I usually use it for both.

I've made 4 flannel quilts and I used flannel for the batting - the flannel batting makes the whole quilt "supple" - no stiffness to it even after heavy/dense quilting.

I've made 1 with just squares (placed diagonally in color match), 2 with squares and rectangles, and one with squares and rectangles on point so there were setting triangles involved and I added a diamond border. Pic of the last is below.

Did not have undue problems with stretching, and it was a bit of a bonus when I had to do the border to get it to meet right at the corners :)

I pre-washed and dried a few times before I cut.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all for the good advice.