Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Allergies to cloth that's been stored in bins in the closet. ????? >

Allergies to cloth that's been stored in bins in the closet. ?????

Allergies to cloth that's been stored in bins in the closet. ?????

Old 04-28-2015, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sval View Post
I'm so relieved that I'm not alone in this. Sorry for all of you to be dealing with this issue as well. I've used up all the scraps in the bins. So my only stash is on comic boards on a shelf out in the open. I don't have much cloth. I just tend to buy for a particular project and don't store a lot of fabric.

I know. I'm weird. Have been all my life. Seems to be getting worse with age. LOL SVAL
You might want to cover the stash that is on comic boards. Light can fade fabrics or make them change color.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Often it is the tubs. When I buy new plastic tubs, I spray them with bleach and let them set outside. They gather mold in the tiniest of places. Also if I open a container of scraps and they have an odor, since I have prewashed prior to bringing them into the house, I may pitch. I started collecting silica envelopes that come with the different medicine bottles, aspirin and such. Helps to absorb any moisture. With aspirin it helps them from crumbling. They have a moisture absorber on the market at the discount dollar stores. I keep meaning to pick them up but haven't gotten over there yet. My neighbor uses charcoal to put in an old sock or plastic salt shaker. She says it helps when storing in plastic containers. You can use a lingerie bag (I have several) for the scraps when I bring them home and toss into the laundry from estate sales. It is hard to wash out mold. I suggest pitching anything with mold on it.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:49 AM

Update on allergies to cloth: I've decided to just quit on the said quilt. Yesterday I cut 35 white/off white 10" squares and 35 red/maroon or blue of the same size. So basically made layer cakes to make the DHG blocks.
My intention was to make a scrappy QOV.
After sewing 2 red and 2 blue together and laying them out, they just don't say QOV. Pretty, but not patriotic.
I don't need another pretty lap quilt. And with no other use for it, and the fact of the allergies, I'm just going to ditch the cloth and move on.
Which at this point means ordering something and waiting for it to come.
But first, deciding on something to do.
As of this moment I have absolutely nothing started in my sewing room or in my mind.
SVAL
Old 04-30-2015, 02:23 AM

Hang it in the sun for a few days.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:13 AM

You have done all the work of cutting out - find someone to pass it on to rather than just throw it out.

I start to sneeze after I have been sewing for a little while and sometimes my hands get itchy despite the fact that I wash all my fabric scraps included.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:46 AM

I have allergies to dust and molds. I keep a dehumidifier running 24/7 in my basement sewing studio. I also have problems with plastic bins, so all my fabric is stored on shelves behind bi-fold doors. And pre-cuts are stored in file drawers under my large cutting table. My allergy issues are greatly reduced since the elimination of plastic bins. I can't believe those chemicals used in plastic production are any better for fabric than for me.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:12 AM

I also have a problem with plastic and it's smell. I store big chunks of fabric stacked in a closet. Not always convenient to get the bottom piece out, but much easier to breathe. We also use a dehumidifier and I think that helps.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:27 AM

It sounds like the plastic. It might or might not be the bin, but it can also be the lid. My bins are clear, no trouble for me. But I have some that have colored lids, I have some problems. And the colored bins with the colored lids, NO way. The bins I use are from the office supply store. They are for filing, but they are clear top and bottom. Good luck
Old 04-30-2015, 05:29 AM

for hand washing very small items try a salad spinner---works great and spins it fairly dry too--mine has a sharp pin in the bottom so wash in the basket
Old 04-30-2015, 06:29 AM

This could be a reaction to the cardboard. I know that when I prepare storage boxes at work, I have a problem with the odor of the chemicals in the cardboard and the dust. I use the plastic boards purchased from Polar Notions. It was a big initial expense, but I've used and reused them for 5 years and they are as good as new.

"So my only stash is on comic boards on a shelf out in the open."