Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Allergies to cloth that's been stored in bins in the closet. ????? >

Allergies to cloth that's been stored in bins in the closet. ?????

Allergies to cloth that's been stored in bins in the closet. ?????

Old 04-28-2015, 08:19 AM

Default Allergies to cloth that's been stored in bins in the closet. ?????

I know I'm weird. But I'll ask anyway.

Does anyone else have a problem using cloth that's been stored in bins. That's partly why I don't have a stash.
Even if I wash it when I buy it, after it sits I have a problem using it. When I start handling it and cutting it I get a funny sensation on my lips. And sometimes my throat bothers me.

Rewashing isn't a option because a lot of it is scraps.

SVAL
Old 04-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I've gotten a runny nose and itchy eyes from handling stored fabric. Just happened yesterday, in fact.

Scraps can be washed. I've done it many times.

You can get a lingerie bag and put them in that and toss it in a washer.

or

You can wash them by hand in a basin, sink, big kettle - rinse them - I use a colander if the pieces are little -
lay them out on towels to dry.

Depends on how much you want to keep and use the pieces.

The main thing would be to wash like colors together in case one of the pieces is a bleeder.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:26 AM

It might be the bin itself. I have plastics issues (possible MCS). Take everything out of your bin. Stick your head in your bin & sniff. I have to sniff bins at the store before I buy.

When the fast food restaurants gave away stinky-plastic toys, my daughter's had to go straight in the trash. Couldn't even bear to have them in the house in the donation box.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
I know I'm weird. But I'll ask anyway.

Does anyone else have a problem using cloth that's been stored in bins. That's partly why I don't have a stash.
Even if I wash it when I buy it, after it sits I have a problem using it. When I start handling it and cutting it I get a funny sensation on my lips. And sometimes my throat bothers me.

Rewashing isn't a option because a lot of it is scraps.

SVAL
i get that same sensation in my lips, feels numb, when I eat anything with msg or wheat in it.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:31 AM

I don't think it's the bins. I have the same issue with "off season clothes". I've always had to wash everything before wearing it at the change of the seasons. Maybe dust mites or something gross like that?

I wondered if I could tumble them all in the dryer awhile if that would help. I have 70 10" squares ready to sew into a DHG. But I can't even think about handling them.

So is that how people manage their stash? Have to wash it right before they use it?

SVAL
Old 04-28-2015, 09:24 AM

It may be the bin. It also could be one of the pieces of fabric that you are allergic to a chemical or a dye. Plus, when chemicals are stored in a bin and they gas off, it could be impacting all of the fabrics. You may want to consider storing scraps in something else that is more breathable for a while to isolate whether it is the fabric or the bin.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:30 AM

I have problems with air-borne mold. Maybe somehow the fabric got musty or damp and then dried? I've had this allergy for years and can predict rain.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:47 AM

I'm so relieved that I'm not alone in this. Sorry for all of you to be dealing with this issue as well. I've used up all the scraps in the bins. So my only stash is on comic boards on a shelf out in the open. I don't have much cloth. I just tend to buy for a particular project and don't store a lot of fabric.

I know. I'm weird. Have been all my life. Seems to be getting worse with age. LOL SVAL
Old 04-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

No, you shouldn't feel weird. There are all sort of allergies. When I am around the donated Robert Kaufman fabric, I sneeze up a storm. I should wash it but most are strips and I don't have any laundry room since I am living in an apt complex.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:21 PM

I don't have problems with fabric stored in bins as I still have a few bins full yet. But outdoor fabric I am allergic too. Last year when I was making new cushions for my porch furniture I was wheezing and coughing the entire time. I still have it in the sewing room but over in a corner. Think its only when I'm man handling it that it effects me. I'm also allergic to my kitty but I'm not getting rid or her either.