Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: almost had it !!!!!!

Blog Entries
    after about 3-5 yrs of trying to do this free motion quilting, I thought I had it today BUT my quilting machine needle kept breaking. I cannot lower feed dogs on this machine and I tried to cover them but either way the sewing works but the new needle keeps breaking.................does anyone know why?
    I think this is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do but not succeed! :| :| :| :| :|

Blog Entries
    Maybe try using a larger needle? :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by joym
    after about 3-5 yrs of trying to do this free motion quilting, I thought I had it today BUT my quilting machine needle kept breaking. I cannot lower feed dogs on this machine and I tried to cover them but either way the sewing works but the new needle keeps breaking.................does anyone know why?
    I think this is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do but not succeed! :| :| :| :| :|
    The throat plate perhaps? If it has just a hole in it for straight stitching, it can be changed out (hopefully you have one) for one that has a wider opening, for instance, zig-zagging.

Blog Entries
    your needle breaks because the motion of the fabric bends the needle and the needle misses the hole. perhaps a stronger needle will work, perhaps slowing down the fabric motion good luck

Banned
    you don't describe how you are FMQing. there could be a lot of reasons. A full and complete and detailed description would give inquiring minds a metter chance of making informed suggestions.

Blog Entries
    thanksfor your suggestions ...still struggling but have to quit for now......headache! Maybe I will have to take a lesson or two or three!!

Banned
    a lesson would be helpful then you will be able to have some hands on assistance for your problems.

Blog Entries
    Yes, this is one area that lessons are really helpful. I struggled on my own but just a couple of comments from my instructor really helped.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Yes, this is one area that lessons are really helpful. I struggled on my own but just a couple of comments from my instructor really helped.
    I agree. I worked at it for awhile myself, but made some major leaps forward by taking a hands-on class. There's nothing like some expert feedback to help move you along the way!

Blog Entries
    what foot are you using?? it must be a darning foot/spring foot. it actually has a spring on the shaft. this helps keep the fabric still the split second the needle is in the fabric.

and i took a class where we were told not to lower our feed dogs. i've done FMQ both ways.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast