Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Alto's Quilt Cut 2 >

Alto's Quilt Cut 2

Alto's Quilt Cut 2

Old 09-21-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by dellareya
So glad to see this thread. I'm going to purchase a cutting system soon. I'm having a hard time deciding between Accuquilt and Alto's. Last night I was convinced to get the Accuquilt, now after reading these comments I'm on the fence again.
If you had a choice which one would you get??????? :roll:
I also looked at the AccuQuilt, but hated the idea of being 'confined' to what dies they made/I had. And there seems to be SSSOOOO much wasted fabric. With the QuiltCut you are free to cut ANYTHING. I expecially like it now that I have EQ7. There are a lot of patterns out there - and that I create - that are not 'standard' sized pieces - i.e. 2" triangle but I need 2 3/8" triangle. And you can fussy cut with QuiltCut and not with the AccuQuilt.

I think for the AccuQuilt to be valuable is if you are producing quilt kits, but it seem to make sense to have to have GOBS of different dies available. And where would you store them? I would rather store fabrics.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dellareya
I'm having a hard time deciding between Accuquilt and Alto's. Last night I was convinced to get the Accuquilt, now after reading these comments I'm on the fence again.
If you had a choice which one would you get??????? :roll:
Do you have a chance to go to a large quilt show? You could check and see if there are booths for both systems, then go and try them out for yourself. I think it really is a matter of personal preference for most people, although those who have trouble pressing down on a rotary cutter are probably better off with the cranking action of the Go!

The Go! becomes more expensive in the long run because you have to invest in dies.

The big advantage I see with the Go! is in the cutting of triangles; the corners are all nubbed off so it is easy to match pieces accurately.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers
LOVE MINE!!! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:
I purchased it from a lady here on the board. What a difference it makes. Quick to cut and basically NO RULER MISTAKES. No slipping, scooting, etc. I have been amazed how much fabric I am saving. I have always bought a little extra fabric because I knew that I would ruin some with slippage. Now I have some wonderful, usable scraps. And I love the fact that it is 99% ready to use when you take it out. Really just about as easy as moving your cutting mat.

Now I am looking for the perfect fabric to make me a carrying case for it. I know that I can buy one, but I want my baby to have something special.

I am really thinking about getting my mom one for Christmas and making it a cover too. She usually buys precuts because of cutting it out and I think that she will love it. When we go home - hopefully in October - I am taking my baby and see what she thinks about it. If she flips like I think she will, I will order one for Christmas.

Although I may have to deal with having a second on hand if she doesn't want it - wouldn't want to have to deal with returning it. :twisted: Yeah, that's what I will tell my DH. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I really like this machine, have done a lot of cutting - the yard can wait!
Sewing is more important lol.
The cover that Alto's sells for it looks to be heavy canvas.
My cutting table is one that is 72 inches long with both sides up - has wheels so is mobile. I have the Alto on one side, ACCUQUILT - GO on the other.
See if your mother likes the unit, she may surprise ya. It is easy to use. Size for many may be a problem but it really is not that heavy.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 AM

DebsShelties said:
My cutting table is one that is 72 inches long with both sides up - has wheels so is mobile. I have the Alto on one side, ACCUQUILT - GO on the other.

See if your mother likes the unit, she may surprise ya. It is easy to use. Size for many may be a problem but it really is not that heavy.[/quote]

If you could only afford ONE cutting machine, which would you choose, Alto or Accuquilt?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 AM

I've had my Alto's for years and LOVE IT!!! :))

I can do angles precisely ... I can do straight cuts easily. I don't have to try to hold a ruler as it only had one pressure point on the cutting guide. With my arthritis I use my palm to hold that in place and my hands don't hurt anymore.

I have even take it with my on retreats when we have to cut material there. Though I do wish all the cutting were done beforehand.

There is no wasted fabric as with the AccuQuilt GO.

ali
Old 09-21-2010, 09:04 AM

The Accuquilt Go looks a LOT like the Sizzix system for scrapbooking. Does anyone have both? What is the difference? Are the dies made differently? I have cut out fabric with my Sizzix, but the fabric has to be starched to get a good cut - but that might be because it was used for paper a lot.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tjradj
The Accuquilt Go looks a LOT like the Sizzix system for scrapbooking. Does anyone have both? What is the difference? Are the dies made differently? I have cut out fabric with my Sizzix, but the fabric has to be starched to get a good cut - but that might be because it was used for paper a lot.
From what has been posted on the Accuquilt users group on Yahoo, the Sizzix dies and Go! dies are not interchangeable.

I do not have to starch fabric for my Go!, but then I do not pre-wash my fabrics so they still have manufacturer's sizing on them when I run them through.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
DebsShelties said:

See if your mother likes the unit, she may surprise ya. It is easy to use. Size for many may be a problem but it really is not that heavy.
If you could only afford ONE cutting machine, which would you choose, Alto or Accuquilt?[/quote]

The Alto Quilt Cut 2 = $209, The ACCUQUILT - GO = $349 reg price, have seen it around for as little as $211(amazon)
If I was only able to afford one - the Alto Quilt Cut would be my choice as the other is somewhat limited with the dies.
The dies are a certain size with the GO.
Depending on where you buy the dies, they can be very costly.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 AM

Is the Quilt Cut 2 adaptable to a lefty? I just watched the manufacturer's video and it didn't mention left handed cutting.

I thought the Go was what i wanted but now I'm not so sure. Although I do have arthritis in my hands which is why I was considering the GO but the GO requires some strength to use.

At this point in my life I cannot afford either BUT I at least want to 'dream' in the right direction. Maybe I'll get to spend my bonus this year for something other than medical bills!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN
Is the Quilt Cut 2 adaptable to a lefty? I just watched the manufacturer's video and it didn't mention left handed cutting.

I thought the Go was what i wanted but now I'm not so sure. Although I do have arthritis in my hands which is why I was considering the GO but the GO requires some strength to use.

At this point in my life I cannot afford either BUT I at least want to 'dream' in the right direction. Maybe I'll get to spend my bonus this year for something other than medical bills!
YES you can have it either right or left handed. It comes set up for right handed, but with a quick turn of a screwdriver and moving one bar to the opposite side, it becomes Left Handed.