Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one that goes to thrift stores looking for shirts to use as fabric? >

Am I the only one that goes to thrift stores looking for shirts to use as fabric?

Am I the only one that goes to thrift stores looking for shirts to use as fabric?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:38 AM

Ask friends and family to save their old denim pants most are happy to save them for you. I have seen beautiful demin purses made from the upper part with the pockets and zipper.
They embellish them and ask $40 and $45 dollars a purse. They also make sml purses also.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

I sure do go to thrift stores. I just found a whole tote of shirts I forgot I bought. Someday I am going to make a quilt with them. I also look for interesting textures in fabric and unusual buttons.
I had to hide the shirts because hubby was taking them to wear to work.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:06 PM

thanks for the info never thought of that will go this weekend to see what i can find
Old 10-18-2010, 12:12 PM

I do all the time. I am currently collecting hawaian shirts and checked flannel for a rag quilt. The thrift stores vary in price. I have one that I like that has sales every Wednesday and I am lucky to find the XL + shirts. Quite a bit of fabric in them.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by PamS
Don't forget to look at uniforms - they come in great novelty prits - cats, dogs, fish, nurse/doctor theme, flowers etc, and they're made of good sturdy cotton.
Nurse scrubs have great prints. I've admired several where I work and told them when they are through with them, I want them for a quilt. They laugh and think I'm joking, but I'm not. Some are very pretty and colorful.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:32 AM

I have soooo many shirts I've purchased at thrift stores and garage sales that I have to keep telling myself NO MORE when I wander over to the shirts now. I do allow myself 1 IF it's an incredibly wild unusual pattern in a long sleeve XL-XXL-or XXXL. But only one.

I haven't made anything yet with them. I've only cut apart a few.

QUESTION: Do you have problems cutting them apart...because they are TOO NICE ??? I do. :(
Old 10-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Bev

I find good stuff all the time. The only one I can go to and get bargains though, is the Humane Society thrift shop. Goodwill here gets 4.95 for shirts and women's blouses. Skirts aren't much cheaper. Hospice has a 25% off sale for seniors every Wed. where they're cheaper than any other day, but still higher than most. The Humane Soc. charges 25c for clothing, no matter what it is, but they have some on special racks they call "boutique" and they charge higher for that. 8-)
Old 10-31-2010, 03:27 PM

I have just started over the last six months or so - - when the prices in the stores get so high, my drive to spend money still doesn't lessen, and you are sooo correct!
In thrift stores, one finds beautiful colors and patterns that are not found on any shelves.
I have been a faithful viewer of Quiltville for more than a few years now, and have both of her books.
One tip - - when you cut your shirts apart? Do be sure to separate those strippy pieces for your strip quilts ... I made the mistake of putting all the pieces of the shirt together and now strips fall out at the oddest times and places!
(Which is why I admit to being a "viewer" over being a "follower" <g>) ...
There are some mighty good finds out in those thrift shops, including the machine and cabinet, with all the parts and pieces and extra bobbins for $25! ...
I may start volunteering just to make sure they aren't throwing away some really good buttons because the clothes aren't worth putting out (it is just a thought ... <g>) <wave>
Old 11-02-2010, 02:27 AM

I have a sister who volunteers for a "treasure" store one day a week. As a volunteer she gets 25% off anything she buys and on Fridays it's half price day! So she finds some great things and saves 75% on cheap things to begin with! Woo Hoo! I'm often the recipient of "gifts" from her!! They also have a day for bag sales...fill a grocery bag with clothing for $5!! Keeps the merchandise moving, making room for more donations! I know what I want to do when I retire! LOL!!
Old 11-03-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Randa
I have a sister who volunteers for a "treasure" store one day a week. As a volunteer she gets 25% off anything she buys and on Fridays it's half price day! So she finds some great things and saves 75% on cheap things to begin with! Woo Hoo! I'm often the recipient of "gifts" from her!! They also have a day for bag sales...fill a grocery bag with clothing for $5!! Keeps the merchandise moving, making room for more donations! I know what I want to do when I retire! LOL!!
What a clever idea!
The Community Cents Thrift Store down the road from me is operated by a woman who has exactly the same idea as you - - her thrift store benefits three businesses/foundations here in the closest town PLUS it set up to work with handicapped adults to help them earn some money and learn some skills. She is truly an addition to the community as well as being able to have garage sales come to her and play with them while she sells them. How fun! <wave>