Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Rummage Sales ,Flea Market  Antique Stores Thrift Stores >

Rummage Sales ,Flea Market Antique Stores Thrift Stores

Rummage Sales ,Flea Market Antique Stores Thrift Stores

Old 03-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Google Goddess

Hi,

Today is the first day of Spring 2010 awesome! The sun was shining and I took a walk 1 1/2 miles total. Was nice to get outside and walk the dog.

I was just wondering who likes to go to rummage sales, flea markets, antique stores or thrift stores?

What particular things are you looking for? This should be fun to see what we all like to shop for.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Google Goddess

A few weeks ago I stopped at a Goodwill store and found a quilt book for 69 cents! Was a bargain! I was so happy! I love looking for old craft books, quilt books and cookbooks. You never know what you will find and just cool to search search search and find a cool bargain.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:11 PM

I love flea markets, garage sales, auctions and thrift stores. I always look for fabric , quilts and blocks of course, but i also collect tea pots, angels, and glass paper weights, i am getting pretty picky now tho, i have so many lol. they sure are fun. Dh loves going to so it is something we can do together.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:16 PM

The first thing I look for is glass that would be good for 'make your own' candles...a fun booth at the faire where you layer colored wax flakes like you would do sand art...but it has a wick and can be burned if you want to.

One yard sale I even found some of the flake wax and a bunch of votive molds that somebody had bought and then decided making candles was too much trouble. My daughter works for a candlemaker so the votive cups came in handy for her.

Then I look for fabric, yarn, notions, sci-fi books, things that would work for costuming for faire (Renaissance Festival), kids clothes, and anything else that catches my eye...lol!
Old 03-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Google Goddess

Hi,

I see you go to renaissance festivals. Do you spin or weave?

Karen

Originally Posted by mom-6
The first thing I look for is glass that would be good for 'make your own' candles...a fun booth at the faire where you layer colored wax flakes like you would do sand art...but it has a wick and can be burned if you want to.

One yard sale I even found some of the flake wax and a bunch of votive molds that somebody had bought and then decided making candles was too much trouble. My daughter works for a candlemaker so the votive cups came in handy for her.

Then I look for fabric, yarn, notions, sci-fi books, things that would work for costuming for faire (Renaissance Festival), kids clothes, and anything else that catches my eye...lol!
Old 03-20-2010, 04:28 PM

I am very much a fan of thrift stores, yard sales and flea markets. My latest best buy was a large zip bag of fabric for $8.99 at Goodwill. I am talking large as in a comforter set size, 98% of bag was cotton.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Google Goddess

Wow, what a great find for you!

Karen

Originally Posted by Granna of 5
I am very much a fan of thrift stores, yard sales and flea markets. My latest best buy was a large zip bag of fabric for $8.99 at Goodwill. I am talking large as in a comforter set size, 98% of bag was cotton.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:36 PM

Quilters link... we have a couple things in common. We both collect paperweights, and my birthday is the day after yours.

I am anxiously awaiting garage sale season, auctions, and flea markets. I just love the hunt! And I seem to have so many things that I collect. I have bought and sold antiques since 1993, so I have alot of neat things. I am really downsizing now though. Just keeping the things I like the very best.
During the winter, I hit the Goodwill as much as possible.
Find some great fabric there.
Looking forward to warm spring weather!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Banned

We love garage sales!!!!!! :thumbup:
Old 03-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Banned

I love them all and then you throw in a few estate sales and I am in heaven!! Some of my best machines came from estate sales! :-D :-D

Billy