Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Rummage Sales ,Flea Market  Antique Stores Thrift Stores >

Rummage Sales ,Flea Market Antique Stores Thrift Stores

Rummage Sales ,Flea Market Antique Stores Thrift Stores

Old 03-20-2010, 09:37 PM

My best buy from a garage sale was a sterling silver flatware set for 12 for $20.00. The lady no longer wanted it because it was her mother's "old silver." I looked on Ebay and others went for close to a $1,000.00.
I generally buy books and stuff for the gradsons, fabric, clothes, old linens. My favorite buy was old hand made underwear, a petticoat, bloomers, bed jacket and a bra like top. Handmade lace with tulle and silk. It must have been from the late 1800s to early 1900s. The work in these pieces was just stunning.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:56 PM

I adore this kind of shopping. I look for Boston Terrier and Fox Terrier items and vintage kitchen stuff (any era, but especially 50s). I used to collect figural salt and pepper shakers - had over 600 sets. One day I realized that I hardly ever looked at them or added to the collection. I sold them all on ebay.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:01 AM

I also love to cruise yard sales and goodwill. My favorite cabinet sewing machine (Mid 60's singer) was $17. at goodwill, I've probable made 20-30 quilts on it, and its still going strong.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:18 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

I love going to flea markets and have just begun going to the thrift stores. I very seldom go to garage sales, don't really know why. I used to collect depression glass but now I only look for specific things as I have way more than I need now. I have given some of them away to friends. My depression glass hunt started with my mom giving me a bowl that was my grandmothers.
I also love going to antique places, I am looking for certain pieces that I want to get to replace my end tables, I have already replaced my coffee table with an antique piece. I want to get an antique bedroom set to use in my spare room. I love the hunt.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
Quilters link... we have a couple things in common. We both collect paperweights, and my birthday is the day after yours.

I am anxiously awaiting garage sale season, auctions, and flea markets. I just love the hunt! And I seem to have so many things that I collect. I have bought and sold antiques since 1993, so I have alot of neat things. I am really downsizing now though. Just keeping the things I like the very best.
During the winter, I hit the Goodwill as much as possible.
Find some great fabric there.
Looking forward to warm spring weather!!!!!!!
i had a huge collection of paperweights, sold them all, then regretted it, so i am starting again,lol. yes love the thrift sales too, tho not much fabric at our stores. Can't wait for spring either.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:58 PM

Me, me, me...I love, flea markets, garage sales, yard sale, any antique shop, or thrift shop. You just never know what kind of treasure you might find. We have two different highway yard sale events that go on around here for miles and miles. When these are held my DH and I load up the cooler and start out early and stay late. I can't wait for summer 8-)
Old 03-21-2010, 06:04 PM

MissM are you in the area of "The Longest Yardsale? My daughter and I want to go to that one year.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
MissM are you in the area of "The Longest Yardsale? My daughter and I want to go to that one year.
Oh I want to go to that myself. Remember the show "Junkin" I think it was on DIY channel or something like that. They went and I could not believe all of the cool thins they found and then they would list the items on eBay and you had a chance at buying them.

Billy
Old 03-21-2010, 06:44 PM

Now they have Pickers on A&E
Old 03-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

I am seldom found in shopping malls or city streets...give me a stool or a patch of floor in a thrift store or an auction room and I will spend hours rummaging through boxes finding treasure! I am an avid collector of fabric, interesting items, vintage clothes and odd bits of furniture....fortunately so is my husband! Our home (rambling, unique reno in progress) attests to this. We are supposed to be thinking of downsizing, but I really can't see how on earth we will do it. I am so glad I have found kindred spirits here. Wonder if any of us are minimalists????