Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Rummage Sales ,Flea Market  Antique Stores Thrift Stores >

Rummage Sales ,Flea Market Antique Stores Thrift Stores

Rummage Sales ,Flea Market Antique Stores Thrift Stores

Old 03-21-2010, 07:46 PM

ALL of the above!!
My best quilting deal so far, at a yard sale, was a huge box of fabrics for $10.00. Got it home and checked out my goodies, and there was a total of 130 yards of cottons, some fit for quilting, some for other projects.
Last year, at a yard sale, I got a beautiful full sized hand pieced and appliqued vintage quilt top, done from flour sack type Depression Era cotton prints for $5.00.
So many people don't appreciate the work their grandmothers or great-aunts put in on crocheted or hand made things. Since they were all made with love, when they go home with me, that is what they get.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Google Goddess

Wow, lots of good finds you have found! This is awesome! When you find cool things at the sales, post a note here to let us know what you found on your treasure hunts!

We love pictures for show and tell!
Old 03-21-2010, 08:44 PM

I love all the above. I can't wait for the garage sales to start. I love looking for anything especially sewing items,books to read, storage containers (which I definitely have to sneak in the house) & scrapbooking items. I've been volunteering at our women's Y shelter & I have found many household items, for 25 cents or a little more, that I give to them for when the women are able to move out & be on their own. My friend & I have been volunteering there for over a year now so we know a lot of their needs so I'm always on the lookout for good finds. I told the staff that instead of donating money to them that I would rather do this instead.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:53 AM

I am a yard sale junkie. I have found whole bolts of cloth and many quilt books and craft books. I even got 2 rolls of fabric of over 50 yards each. One for $5 and the other for for $10.
So many people start hobbys and get tired of them and wind up putting them in yard sales or giving them to thrift shops abd you can get them for nearly nothing.Estate sales are another good place to find real bargains.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:19 AM

I LOVE Yard Sales, flea markets too but there aren't any very close to here. There are lots of yard sales and a couple of thrift stores.
OH the treasures I have found LOL.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:03 AM

I love them all and usually look for quilty/sewing things. Last find at flea market was pattern weights. 11 total for $2. Have found a lot of fabric and several quilt racks at Goodwill.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:05 AM

I love all the above. DH used to go to yard sales every weekend and we just about ran out of space. He's slowed down a little. I like antique and thrift stores the best. I bought a very large bolt of a brown plaid for $5 one time. I am still using that fabric. Comes in handy for the backing. DH bought a white FW at a yard sale for $75. they thought it was a childs machine.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:13 AM

Oh I keep my eye open for whatever the universe throws at me! fabric, quilt tops, even quilts that've been really 'loved' have some parts that are salvegable; furniture, clothing. I don't usually look for chatskis... I hate to dust, almost anything else is fair game!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by vjengels
Oh I keep my eye open for whatever the universe throws at me! fabric, quilt tops, even quilts that've been really 'loved' have some parts that are salvegable; furniture, clothing. I don't usually look for chatskis... I hate to dust, almost anything else is fair game!
Dust, yuk, I hate to dust and am ready to get rid of all my chatskis.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 AM

:-) I love them all and will buy anything that is reasonable. My lbiggest find was at a yard sale a featherwight for 10.00, took it to have it serviced and was offered 1,000 for it. I know I don't have to tell you what I did. Flea markets, Goodwills are great also. I have found when I go not to have anything special in mind and that is when I find good things. :thumbup: