Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only person in the world that has fabric that shrinks? >

Am I the only person in the world that has fabric that shrinks?

Am I the only person in the world that has fabric that shrinks?

Old 11-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

So many people have said they "have no problem" with using unwashed fabrics.

I measure most of mine "before" and "after" washing - I would guess that most of them shrink "some" and some shrink "a lot"

"A lot" to me is more than one inch in width (40-45 inch width) or 1/2 inch in a 36 inch length.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:03 AM

You're not the only one. That's one of the reasons I prewash just about every fabric I buy. I sure don't want put in all kinds of effort and time only to realize that my project got ruined because it shrunk in the wash.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:06 AM

I've never measured but can certainly tell the difference, that's why I prewash everything. I did not before I started quilting, sewed for years for my girls and grands, never crossed my mind to wash first!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:08 AM

Oh, yes, I prewash in hot and dry hot. Then I iron them with a lot of starch. Then I can cut and sew and pretty much expect them to stay that same size over the years.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:14 AM

Okay i must admit that before being in this group, i did not prewash. Now i prewash Every piece of fabric :lol:
Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 AM

I guess it just doesn't bother me, but then again my quilts aren't so intricate that it would matter.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
So many people have said they "have no problem" with using unwashed fabrics.

I measure most of mine "before" and "after" washing - I would guess that most of them shrink "some" and some shrink "a lot"

"A lot" to me is more than one inch in width (40-45 inch width) or 1/2 inch in a 36 inch length.

Yup. Lots of folks don't prewash, but I always do for this reason! That and bleeding. I know people always claim, "I've never had a problem..." But all it take is once to ruin months or YEARS of work.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Washing before quilting and washing after quilting makes a difference in shrinkage. If fabric is closely quilted to a batt, the amount of shrinkage will be determined by the batting instead of the fabric.

Harriet Hargrave made a quilt to prove this. She used unwashed *flannel* in a quilt, then machine quilted it and washed it. The flannel did not shrink as I would have expected; she had used a batting with max 3% shrinkage (I think it was Hobbs 80/20).

Fabric shrinkage will be much more noticeable in quilts that are tied or do not have quilting lines close together.

I do not prewash fabrics and use Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting, which is a very traditional batting. My quilts come out looking like antique quilts -- evenly crinkled because the batting shrinks, but not distorted by uneven or excessive fabric shrinkage.

I'm thinking that the true test of fabric shrinkage in a quilt is washing after quilting rather than before quilting.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:12 AM

Since you're not going to wear the quilt shrinkage isn't that big of a deal. Even if you preshrink your fabric, cotton batting still shrinks. They might as well shrink together.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Washing before quilting and washing after quilting makes a difference in shrinkage. If fabric is closely quilted to a batt, the amount of shrinkage will be determined by the batting instead of the fabric.

Harriet Hargrave made a quilt to prove this. She used unwashed *flannel* in a quilt, then machine quilted it and washed it. The flannel did not shrink as I would have expected; she had used a batting with max 3% shrinkage (I think it was Hobbs 80/20).

Fabric shrinkage will be much more noticeable in quilts that are tied or do not have quilting lines close together.

I do not prewash fabrics and use Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting, which is a very traditional batting. My quilts come out looking like antique quilts -- evenly crinkled because the batting shrinks, but not distorted by uneven or excessive fabric shrinkage.

I'm thinking that the true test of fabric shrinkage in a quilt is washing after quilting rather than before quilting.
I agree!