Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only person in the world that has fabric that shrinks? >

Am I the only person in the world that has fabric that shrinks?

Am I the only person in the world that has fabric that shrinks?

Old 11-05-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Just wondering -

Do any of you non-washers measure your finished item before and after washing it a couple of times?

If you haven't, how can you KNOW for sure whether it changed shape or not?
I'm not that obsessive. It's whatever size it is. The bed can still wear the quilt even if it shrinks a couple of inches. Lap quilts and baby quilts will fit all laps and all babies even if they shrink some.
That wasn't the point or intent of the question -
You don't get to say how I answer questions. It was asked if any non-washers measure before and after. My answer is "I'm not that obsessive."

I'm sorry you don't seem to like the answer, but it's my answer.

Go read Harriet Hargraves books. She doesn't prewash and advocates tearing fabric. If it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG
Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Wonder if I wash my body in very hot water and then dry it in a dryer will I shrink a few inches? If I could find a stand up dryer I'd try it, LOL! May in Jersey
LOL :lol:
Tried it , didn't work for me! I would love to shrink about 20 lbs, hubby says just walk. (He does about 5 miles a day and has lost 40 lbs since May) Personally, I would rather spend the time sewing. :lol:
Old 11-05-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by JeanieG
Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Wonder if I wash my body in very hot water and then dry it in a dryer will I shrink a few inches? If I could find a stand up dryer I'd try it, LOL! May in Jersey
LOL :lol:
Tried it , didn't work for me! I would love to shrink about 20 lbs, hubby says just walk. (He does about 5 miles a day and has lost 40 lbs since May) Personally, I would rather spend the time sewing. :lol:
LOL!! Me too!!

:P :P :P :P
Old 11-05-2010, 08:17 AM

Does anyone wash the batting before putting the quilt together? In the 70's and 80's we used the Mountain Mist Polyester Batting, which was considered the "best" at the time, and never had to worry about the batting shrinking. We were always told to pre-shrink the fabric. I always pre-shrink if I'm giving the item away, but sometimes don't if I'm keeping it.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Polyester batting doesn't shrink. Cotton battings shrink within a certain range depending on the brand, whether it is mixed with other fibers (Hobbs 80/20 is an example of a mixed fiber batting) and how the batting was made (needlepunched or not, needlepunched through scrim).

I use cotton batting (max shrinkage about 6%) along with fabric that is not prewashed. They shrink together to give the traditional crinkled look.

Results could be considerably different using fabric that is not prewashed with a polyester batting that does not shrink. I've never done that, so can't speak from experience, but I could see how that could be a bad combination.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:53 AM

Does anyone know what the given shrinkage is for Warm and Natural? - I usually use this and get good results with no problems but was just wondering...
Old 11-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

According to this website:
http://www.warmcompany.com/faq.html
Warm n Natural shrinks about 3%
Old 11-05-2010, 12:59 PM

Just wondering -

Do any of you non-washers measure your finished item before and after washing it a couple of times?

If you haven't, how can you KNOW for sure whether it changed shape or not?
I know mine will have changed some, and I accept that it does. That is why I make them a few inches bigger than I want them. I guess I have just made my peace with it, due to my problem with not being able to stand long enough to do lots of ironing. :oops:
Old 11-05-2010, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
According to this website:
http://www.warmcompany.com/faq.html
Warm n Natural shrinks about 3%
Thanks Prism! :)
Old 11-15-2010, 03:28 PM

I had a 108" wide backing shrink SIXTEEN INCHES in width after I washed it!! Sure glad I prewashed/preshrunk it.
No kidding -- it started out 108" wide and came out 92" wide! Good thing I'd bought extra length as I had to cut the extra length off, cut that in half, and sew the pieces onto the sides of the backing to get my width. Painful experience.
I don't like all the endless ironing after having washed & dried but ... just imagine how horrible it'd have been to have put in eons of work on my quilt (Tumbling Blocks) only to have it shrink like that!
You cannot depend on who may eventually end up with the quilt to not wash & dry in hot water so I make sure of the shrinkage and fading FIRST.