Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I supposed to tip my longarmer?

I picked up a quilt from the longarmer yesterday. I paid her what she asked, but when I got home I wondered if it is customary to tip the quilter. I'm new at this and so I don't know the answer. What do you do?

I can't imagine why you would. No one tips me when they pay for my dressmaking services. ;)

No I don't believe you do, the charge should include everything.

Usually, no.

Here's the 'but...'

When I was using a LAer (before I became one myself), I felt she charged way, way, way too little. These machines are expensive, you don't just get one and be good without lots of practice, expenses, thread, etc. I usually added more because she did much more than a basic quilting for a basic quilting price. She also quilted my donation quilts as a co-donor for local raffles. Now that I've been doing this for a while, I can tell you that she was still seriously underpaid, even when I added extra.

I can tell you from other boards that the tips are celebrated because they are few and far between. I, for one, am thrilled when people grab a bunch of my cards because they want to tell their friends. Referrals are GOLD!! Tears and hugs also make my day. If you enter the quilt in a show, make sure to give her credit for the quilting, and if two ribbons aren't awarded (some shows give one for the piecer and one for the quilter), a picture of you with the quilt and ribbon for her wall is great, too.

Thanks. Good advice.

I would....think of it as a treat! They'll do a even better job for you next time. Heck, I even tip the kids at the fast food joints....they NEVER get tips! Oh, and I've tipped gas station attendants, too. One time, during a cold snap, I picked up apple-cider donuts on my way to work...they were still warm. I gave one to each of the attendants at a gas station...from that point on, I got my windshields washed!!! :mrgreen:

I like that. Good advice.

I figure if I tip my waitress 20% for something that lasts a few hours, why wouldn't I tip my longarmer for something that could last 100 years. Gomeyer

Because she owns the business and charges for her services according to her own policy. If she works for someone else, I would tip her.

Great question!! Thanks for the advice everyone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast