Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stupid sewing machine, it's Supposed to be my Friend >

Stupid sewing machine, it's Supposed to be my Friend

Stupid sewing machine, it's Supposed to be my Friend

Old 09-28-2008, 04:38 PM

rggg, stupid machine, it decided to start thumping and banging and yelling at me. Soo, guess i cant blame it, havent cleaned it in awhile. Sooo, started making bad knocking noise, so changed bobbins, still doing it, lifted face plate, cleaned out that area, changed needle, still was doing it. Soo, of course i dont have any sewing machine oil, prob why it did this to me lol. So phone hubby (he's out), ask him where the WD40 is, spent over an hour taking my whole machine apart, pulling out any stray threads and dust, and spraying oil everywhere. Soo, think i've fixed it, good enough for now. The loud thumping noise it was making has turned into just a real quiet one now. So i notice when i turn the handle, when the needle gets to its highest point, the turn handle gets harder to turn, right there, and that's when it makes the thumping noise, but oiling it helped, think i will have hubby take a look at it when he gets home, just when i was trying to have an afternoon of sewing :)
Old 09-28-2008, 04:55 PM

Dang machines....can't live with em... can't live without em..... glad you got it on the right track to being fixed. :) :)
Old 09-28-2008, 05:03 PM

lol Cathy, yeah, i think of my machine as kinda like hubby, ol faithul lol, doesnt usually cause me any heartache, and been around long enough that i can usually figure out every squeak and groan lol, would be rather tempting to have an affair with a newer younger model maybe? lol But no, a newer one would prob be rather fun, for awhile, but it prob wouldnt stick around for the long haul heeheehee
Old 09-28-2008, 05:22 PM

Aren't husbands great when it comes to those mysterious machine noises :) I just turn my machine over to mine and he fiddles, oils and cleans until it's nice and silent again. Saves me from shop visits!
Old 09-28-2008, 05:28 PM

Yes for sure! My machine is 40 years old, and ive never had to take it in to be serviced, hubby does it for me. I can hardly wait til he gets home lol, well, i am going to give it another try now, and if it works ok he can look at it another day. Just when i was trying to have a sewing day though, and then this, left me tired and frustrated for awhile lol, oh well, will give it a go and see how it works now :)
Old 09-28-2008, 06:14 PM

Ok, just tried it, and it's working good :) In my cleaning and oiling i found a couple threads wrapped around inside where they shouldnt have been, so maybe i fixed it :)
Old 09-28-2008, 06:26 PM

Yay! Hope that worked, and I hope it doesn't start acting up again. I know that I'm grateful for my DH when the comptuer starts sassing me, but the sewing machine he'd look at me like I was drunk if I asked him to fix it! LOL Glad to know your's is working again! :lol:
Old 09-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

if your machine really is 40 years old, it most likely has metal gears -

use sewing machine lubricant (like grease) on gears, sewing machine oil on other moving parts that 'rub together' - wallyworld carries Singer brand of both.

WD40 is not good for sewing machines - it doesn't stick around

Old 09-28-2008, 06:31 PM

Janeen, thank you, yes it's a 40 year old kenmore, all metal. I didnt know about sewing machine lubricant, thank you. Yes, my mom bought this machine when i was 11, and when i got married, she gave me her machine and bought herself a new one. I love this machine. But i can see from what you wrote i dont know much about taking care of it, so think i will look more into giving it a nice cleanup and oil it proper, thanks :)
Old 09-28-2008, 06:45 PM

Oooh, guess what else i have? I have my great-grandma's sewing machine, and it is a 1911 singer. It's a treadle machine, but you can't even tell looking at it thats a sewing machine, the tredle, everything, is inside cabinet doors, and the wood cabinet has beautiful flowers carved in it.