Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I too critical?  Suggestions, please. >

Am I too critical? Suggestions, please.

Am I too critical? Suggestions, please.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:26 PM

Default Am I too critical? Suggestions, please.

Our veterans are now entering hospice(s) for end-of-life care.

The hospice where we send these patriotic quilts is now requesting they be "service specific": Army, Navy, Air Forc, Marines, etc. So I got panels of the seals of each service. They are all nice: red, white, blue, gold, except for the Marines. In the panel I found for the Marines, black is substituted for the blue. I was shocked. I looked at the U.S.Marines official website and saw that the usual blue was used (not black). Somehow, I don't feel it's patriotic, and I don't know if an ex-Marine or his family will appreciate a quilt where black is substituted for the "red, white and blue".

our leader said go ahead and build any quilt around that seal panel. Since I believe Marines are tough, rough and ready to protect us, fierce warriors, I thought of camouflage so I am throwing some of the green cami around the seal with random blocks of black and goal.... Here's where you come in. What do you think of this idea? Any other suggestions as to pattern, fabric, etc.

Namaste, Sally
Old 07-29-2014, 06:07 PM

If it looks good to you, I say, go for it. You could always use some blue fabric along with the other ones you pick. This is truly a labor of love. Bless you for doing this.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:31 PM
Banned

If it makes you crazy, I can relate.

Have you tried finding the official blue color online anywhere?

I think it's just super you're doing this... but you need to feel *really* good about what you're doing, too... and if this sets you off to feeling less than wonderful about it - then there's your answer.

If money is in the way of getting the blue... please send me a PM... I'll help you out a little.

The "other" Sally
Old 07-29-2014, 07:17 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words? or something like that! I would love to see the colors that you are using but since we can't see a picture i say go with what you can find.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]485571[/ATTACH]Here is a picture of the official Marine corps seal. As you can see it is black. The one with blue is the one that pairs them with the Navy. I'm sure someone can give us an accurate accounting of their history. (I'm from an Army & Air Force family). I do know the Marines began as the landing forces arm of the Navy, and graduates of the Naval Academy choose to enter either the Navy or the Marines. The Navy JAG office serves both Naval and Marines personnel (ie: the TV series JAG). Also look at the Marines dress uniform. The pants are black, the coat is blue. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 07-29-2014, 08:09 PM

No, I don't think that you are being too critical, but I do think the hospice is! Sometimes I wonder where the folks who ask for our quilts get their notions of what is 'required' in a quilt for a member of our Armed Forces.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

I think what you are doing is VERY admirable. My father was a Marine during WWII serving in the South Pacific region. I am also a perfectionist but you have to not stress over what you can not control. Just know you are doing a great service for our country caring about our vets during the last days of their lives!! XOXOXOXO
Old 07-30-2014, 04:42 AM

So, now we know. Thank you so much. I'll finish the top and maybe post it for you all to see.