Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How critical are you of your own work?

If you look at a block and see that it is 'off' by a smidge (like 1/8" or less) will you still tear the entire block apart and start all over again?

I completed a quilt, and it has points that may have been slightly 'cut off' at the tip or some of the seams don't align exactly (off by 1/8'); but I've managed to make it work and square it off in the end without much difficulty. From five feet away, you couldn't tell where the mistakes are, but I know where they are (and there are many, believe me).

So, are you more forgiving of yourself, or does every block HAVE to perfectly perfect before you're happy with your work?

(I'm not talking about quilts to submit 'for show.' I'm talking about quilts you would use for yourself, hang on your wall, or give away as a gift.)

I think with me, it all depends.
    If it is something REALLY special I am making for someone, then YES, I am VERY picky and will keep tearing it out until I am either bald or the quilt is perfect.
    Some of my baby quilts will leave the house with a few mistakes, but not many.
    We are, in fact, our own worst critics.

My piecing gets better all the time but I still get some alignments a tad off sometimes.
    My problem is quilting and binding, I still have a long way to go to perfect them. I dont have a stitch regulator so my stitchs are not even and I refuse to hand stitch my binding on the back. Im determined to do it by machine. So Im never happy with the results.

I've gotten a lot more critical lately. I went to a quilt retreat and learned so many tricks and techniques that I didn't know before that I figure that now I have no excuse for things not matching up. Now that I know how to do things right and am not making it up as I go. My points still need work but they are getting better all the time.

To tell you the truth, it all depends on whose getting the quilt. If it's a garment, and the seams don't match, no matter who it's for, that seam is coming out, and being resewn.
    If it's a quilt and I cut off a few points, learning, like I have for one of my grandbaby's...I had to choose, to either keep going, or take apart almost an entire quilt top, so, mistakes stayed, she is five, and lessons learned.
    When I make quilts for my grown kids, hoping that they will have them a while, might possible show to other ppl, and who knows, might even inspire some quilting of their own...I will do my very best to get the points, pointy, and all seams to match.
    I'm kind of critical of my own work, bc I want my kids to be proud of it. I am so not critical of other ppl's work though, as I know how time consuming and tedious getting it right can be.
    I'm the same way with housework. I can plow thru to sit and talk to someone in their own house, but just can't stand too much clutter in my own. It's a constant battle though. Cuts in on my quilty time, doggone it! :D

I try to get it as close as possible but am not as "'perfect" with my quilting as I used to be with my cross stitch. With that I would take out every stitch that was not perfect or whatever. I figure that once you spread a quilt across a bed, a small imperfection will not be seen but a larger one would. I do a lot of unsewing but not a much as I could!!!

I agree that we are our own worst critics. Sometimes it depends on the quilt and the recipient. I'm more apt to fudge if it's, say, a baby quilt for my daughter's friend whom I don't know that well. Sad but true! However, I do want to say that this happens less and less. Sometimes, a quilt is a "learning experience" such as that my thinking is that I'd love to try a certain technique and that I'll incorporate it into a gifted quilt when I know the recipient would never notice my mistakes. I know that the mistakes are there, but the overall impact of the quilt is still wonderful. I'm good with that :D

Oh, I'm a perfect "picker." That's the only thing I consider myself to be really good at but then I'm tough on myself. I try to let small things go if it's for me but if it's for someone else I'll either pick the block apart or make a whole new one. :roll: I have no patience with myself some days!

Hugs,
    Sharon

I'm always trying to improve my piecing techniques and I'm my own worst critic. Of course, I know that all the points don't match exactly like I want, etc. but unless it's REALLY bad, I don't tear out and do over! Sometimes finished is better than perfect....

And here lately, hubby has been pretty darn critical -- drives me crazy. I asked him if he was galloping by on a horse, could he see that the seam was crooked????? He still hasn't answered me :twisted:

With me it depends on who I'll be giving the quilt to. I'm naturaly OCD about being perfect, but on placemats and practice blocks or quilts for me I'm a little more forgiving. I will say that I take great pride in the perfection and even when I give a quilt to a "non-quilter" I like to make sure my work is as perfect as I can make it.
    I have never made a quilt for show (yet). Maybe later :)

So far, I have not been too picky with my quilts. I am still learning, after 10 years!!, and am not making heirloom or show quilts. Most of my quilts have been gifts for the kids or grand-kids, and I don't even want to see what they have done with them!! Dogs and cats and kids are not gentle! And when I made "our" quilt, my sewing machine was acting up and I just thought it was the design trying to make me crazy. I am trying to make my points better, but maybe that is just not my thing! I don't rip out when quilting unless it is a big booboo. And so far, everybody has been happy with the results, so I guess I am doing okay!

I want the quilt to be beautiful. BUT - perfection is not required for something to be beautiful.

I am a self critic, and am trying to learn to let the little things go.
    It's the hand quilting that I am the most critical of, taking out stitches if they are too large or to small or to tight. I think I am more forgiving than I used to be though. 99% of the people who see our quilts wouldn't recognize a mistake any way! :D :D So, yes i do make mistakes, and still waiting on that perfect top!

I have to remember that not everything is perfect. A friend of mine says if you cannot see while riding on a galloping horse going by it then it is okay. Amish always make a mistake in their quilts on purpose because they believe only God is perfect. Yes we are critical . I do take it apart if it is crucial to the pattern. Just remember some blocks only need a scant 1/4 inch. I make some of my pieces an 1/8 inch bigger and trim down as I go along if necessary :D

Just enjoy your new quilt and remember every time we make one we only get better and we are practicing for the future blocks that can be harder!!!!!

If I'm getting paid to make it then YES, it has to be perfect. Otherwise If I'm off a smidge, as long as it isn't crooked, I'll let it go.

Banned
    ditto

if i'm getting paid for it yes.

i have ripped apart quilts over 1/8 of inch. i've also scrapped an entire project and made another because i didn't like the way the fabric was behaving.

I've only done five quilting projects so far, and my goal has been to make each quilt better than the last. As long as I can see improvement in my quilting skills with each quilt, I'm pretty satisfied. So far.

Renee

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    I want the quilt to be beautiful. BUT - perfection is not required for something to be beautiful.
    so just so i understand this right....seeing as I am not perfect :lol: I must be beautiful!! :lol: :lol:

I have improved alot in the last two years, but I am far from perfect. As long as it is not a big mistake I can live with it.

Done is better than perfect. Quilting is something I do for fun and relaxation. I refuse to torture myself because something is off a little bit. People that don't quilt will never notice if a point or two are cut off or don't match up perfectly plus that's the kind of thing that gives a quilt personality.

Don't obsess, just sew!!

I've even left wrong side out fabric in scrappy log cabin blocks. After the quilts were done *I* coudn't even find it!!!

I am very critical of my own work!!!! I will rip it out if it is something I catch at the time but if I dont see it until the quilt is almost done, then it is going to stay!!! :D Some one else can make the same mistake as I do and to me theirs looks great anyway but my mistake jumps out, waves its arms and screams " LOOK AT ME!!!!!" :lol: :lol:

There are 3 tools that are always with me- the scissors, the ruler, and the RIPPER!!! I measure every seam and rip and resew if I need to- -and yes, even for 1/16 of an inch. The one quilt I made that I didn't do that, the blocks didn't fit together right when it came time to put them all together and I ended up doing it over. So never again. Also, I have taken out the hand quilting stitches if I don't like them. So, am I compulsive? Yes! Am I crazy? Probably! Is my quilt something I'm proud of? Most of the time. And I do this for stress release---LOLOLOLOL
    cheryl

Blog Entries
    I am critical of my work, but I don't rip out nearly as much as some people probably do. If it is very noticeable, I will fix it, but if it's off just a bit, I usually leave it. I quilt for fun and relaxation. It might not be fun anymore if I was freaking out over a mismatched seam.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Done is better than perfect. Quilting is something I do for fun and relaxation. I refuse to torture myself because something is off a little bit. People that don't quilt will never notice if a point or two are cut off or don't match up perfectly plus that's the kind of thing that gives a quilt personality.

Don't obsess, just sew!!

I've even left wrong side out fabric in scrappy log cabin blocks. After the quilts were done *I* coudn't even find it!!!
    You hit it right on the head. "Quilting id something I do for fun and relaxation. " So true. If it wasn't I wouldn't be doing it. Then it would be work.

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    I used to obsses, but realized I don't make "heirloom-just-look-and-be-careful-because-it's-not-washable " quilts, I make "curl-up-and-imagine-me-hugging-you" quilts. I make them because I enjoy the process and want to relax, not obsess. We live in an imperfect world, so should my quilts be any different? When I make one with someone in mind, I spend so much time thinking of them that maybe some of the seams may be off because I'm in such a hurry to give it to them to use. If the recipient starts getting picky about my workmanship, they don't deserve it and won't get another thing from me because they missed the whole point of the gift. I'm not saying I'm sloppy and really obvious mistakes go out, It's just that I think I am more into instant gratification rather than total perfection. (But I do envy those who can strive for perfection without loosing their minds.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast