Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another copyright question... >

Another copyright question...

Another copyright question...

Old 02-24-2013, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
Obviously, I'm not an expert but from what I've been reading on the web, besides the consensus of "go for it", to be legal you could buy that old pattern from your friend (for whatever price she will sell it for). It is then yours to sew with and to do with the finished product as you wish. You may sell the wall hanging(s) if you so desire. I'm basing this on the information from tabberone in the link above provide by snipforfun.
By far (to me) the most interesting thoughts on this subject come from Leah Day: http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...terrorism.html
I remember the whole Kate Spain copyright mess and loved Leah Day's discussion of it, both at the time and now that I've read it again. I think things sort of came to a head at the time and a lot of us quilters rebelled, just like Leah did, and said "Enough is enough of this nonsense."

Words, instructions, photographs are copyrighted. Eyeballing a design and working out yourself how to put it together is fine. Go for it.

By the way, once your friend has bought a pattern and she wants to lend it to you so you can make it, she can and you can. The pattern is hers to dispose of as she wishes.