Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using Muslin

Using Muslin

I see a lot of quilts that use white fabric as the background. Solid white fabric is hard to find, what are the pros and cons of using muslin in a quilt? Fabric.com has Kona Premium Muslin Bleached White 44" wide for $4.98 a yard, would this be quilt quality fabric?
    Thanks
    NormaBeth
    Last edited by Normabeth; 02-12-2013 at 06:03 AM. Reason: spelling
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

NormaBeth, they Do have bleached muslin that is white. It is usually a thinner weave than most regular quilting fabrics. I think my Joanns has different weights of muslin. Don't quote me on that. I DO know that Kona is a MUCH heftier weight. I used a Kona in an aqua in a quilt a few years ago. It was QUITE a bit heavier than the other fabrics in the quilt. I would think that the Kona muslin would be good. Kona has a wonderful hand!

Blog Entries
    Muslin can be used in quilts as long as it is good quality. Kaufman Kona is a good brand, and the Premium is especially nice. You might be shocked at how white the bleached white is, though. Snow is a softer off-white that is very nice. Be aware that fabrics labeled Kona are not necessarily Kaufman Kona. I always look for the Kaufman name in the fabric description.

I love using a "good" muslin, it is a good feel, soft, cotton when washed. I use the "snow" alot for applique and embroidery, for my background fabric. Either is a good choice.

I didn't know the Kaufman Kona was The kona cotton.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
    I didn't know the Kaufman Kona was The kona cotton.
    There is fabric that is sold simply as Kona. It is not the same as Kaufman Kona. Also, there is a fabric manufacturer called Kona Bay; this also is not the same as Kaufman Kona. For me, Kaufman is THE Kona fabric to buy!

If you want white you might get Kaufman Kona snow. It is not stark white but looks white. Kaufman Kona is a little heavier in weight and you might or might not like that to work with. The result is great. Most muslin will not have the quality and will be thin and wear through.
    Anna Quilts

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love Kona snow for backgrounds in 1930's repro quilts. I use it all the time.

Kaufman Kona bleached white Muslin is fantastic to use in a quilt... I buy this by the bolt to have on hand when I need or want to use white fabric as a background in my quilts. It is one of the few fabrics that really does match from bolt to bolt in case you run out and need to purchase another piece.

I just checked fabric.com and the $4.98 Premium Kona Bleached Muslin is made by Kaufman so it is quality fabric.

I use muslin a lot. There are several companies that make a good muslin Kaufman Kona, Moda Bella, Roc Lon. I would suggest that you use one that has no less than 60 threads in a square inch. Roc Lon makes a muslin that is 70 threads per square inch that I prefer when I hand quilt. I can get more stitches per inch with that muslin. Unfortunately, the manufacturers don't put the thread count on the bolt but you can research on line. Kaufman Kona and Moda Bellas have a 60 threadcount. Joann fabrics carries Roc Lon, but it does NOT have a 70 thread count. I don't think it is even 60. I buy my Roc Lon on line.

Blog Entries
    I've used muslin as backing on a couple of quilts. As far as performance, functionality, and looks, it's wonderful. However my tastes have changed and I now prefer a bit of color in my backs, especially if I can use orphan blocks or excess fabric. When I make stack-n-whack or OBWs, I make sure to put some of the uncut fabric on the back of the quilt. Makes it fun for the quilt recipient to compare the original fabric to the finished blocks.

Blog Entries
    muslin has been used in quilts for generations! muslin is a wonderful fabric- washes up beautifully and gets softer & softer with use/laundering- there is (like with any fabric) different quality muslins-some are quite thins...others are as good (or better) than any other quilting fabric! i use the muslins from fabric.com all the time!
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

A good quality muslin makes good background fabric (I use Moda muslin or Southern Belle). But, you don't have to use a solid fabric as background! Any light colored print will work as well. I often use light shirting as backgrounds in Civil War reproduction quilts.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    There is fabric that is sold simply as Kona. It is not the same as Kaufman Kona. Also, there is a fabric manufacturer called Kona Bay; this also is not the same as Kaufman Kona. For me, Kaufman is THE Kona fabric to buy!
    Just a note Kona is a registered trade mark of Robert Kaufman. If it says Kona only Robert Kaufman can use that name on fabric. Look closely at the label on the end of the bolt (not the secondary label that may be applied by the store for inventory purposes , or price changes) you will see Kona with the small R with the circle around it. That small R with the circle means its a registered trademark.

There are lots and lots of different manufactures and grades of muslin. I have used Kaufman Kona muslin and really liked it. It is one of my favorites for quilt backings when I want the quilting to show ( or should I say show-off) on the back.

I looked at Robert Kaufman site and there are many different colors, so, is all Robert Kaufman Kona muslin?
    I love using their black Kona but never tried any of the other colors.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Just a note Kona is a registered trade mark of Robert Kaufman. If it says Kona only Robert Kaufman can use that name on fabric. Look closely at the label on the end of the bolt (not the secondary label that may be applied by the store for inventory purposes , or price changes) you will see Kona with the small R with the circle around it. That small R with the circle means its a registered trademark.
    Hmmm. I wonder if the confusion then comes because of Kona Bay. Maybe people confuse Kona Bay muslin with Kona muslin made by Kaufman.

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    I use muslin all the time that I get from Joann's. It works fine. I do not prewash until the quilt is finished. I have a quilt that I made in 2000 that is on my bed from November through March every year, and the only thing that is showing its' age is the bindings. It has been washed at least once a month each winter for 12 years and looks amazing. Over the summer, I will replace the well-worn bindings.
    Sue In Bloomfield, NY

Blog Entries
    I have used muslin in quilts to. Just buy a good muslin and always wash and dry it before you use it because muslin shrinks.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    My sister made blocks of applique stars with muslin background before she died and I finished it. I used muslin for the backing. It worked perfect!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

dd
    So what is the difference between muslin and cotton fabric? Muslin is cotton and woven and bleached, sometimes.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

I bought Keepsake quilting's aged muslin I am going to hand embroidery snowmen, one of these days. I liked the quality and will buy it again

There is a permaprest muslin available. I like the stuff. I've made shirts out of it. Then there is this horrible "muslin" that's only good for doing trial sewing/fitting patterns. If you wash the stuff, you can't iron it.

I love the heavier muslin that comes in 90", 108" or 120". This way I don't have any seams in the lining. I get mine at JoAnns or the local quilt shop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by normabeth View Post
    i see a lot of quilts that use white fabric as the background. Solid white fabric is hard to find, what are the pros and cons of using muslin in a quilt? Fabric.com has kona premium muslin bleached white 44" wide for $4.98 a yard, would this be quilt quality fabric?
    Thanks
    normabeth
    i love muslin for softness on my quilts have used reg cotton fab or colored sheets like muslin the best though just me cannot speak for anyone else.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast