Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Opinion/Help Question >

Another Opinion/Help Question

Another Opinion/Help Question

Old 10-30-2014, 06:30 AM

Default Another Opinion/Help Question

I am a beginner quilter. I started a quilt last year but tore apart the squares - twice - but I could not get the size consistent. I am thinking of just tossing out the fabric and starting over. Has anyone one that? Or should I give piecing the blocks another shot? Part of the problem may be in how I cut some of the pieces. I have made a few other quilts since so I hope I am getting better at this.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:35 AM

Yes, I have tossed or cut smaller blocks that don't work. I have even donated fabric that I can't stand anymore and have no idea what I was thinking to purchase it. I think in the beginning (and even now) it's important for me to choose blocks that can be squared to even sizes. D9P or even string blocks work great for that. How you cut them makes a huge difference. I often square up smaller blocks before I sew them into the final block. Especially with half square triangles or other blocks that are sewn on the diagonal. Good luck and keep practicing.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I wish you had posted a picture. It is important to check out all your squares pieces to make sure they are all the same size before sewing them together. Don't press your fabric after you have cut the squares. That can affect the size of your squares to become wonky. As long as your cutting is accurate and your seam allowance is consistent, it should come together fine. You can always finish the top the best you can do and donate it to a charity. Someone will appreciate it.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:59 AM

How you cut the pieces, makes all the difference in the world. You also need to make sure your seams are consistent. It doesn't matter so much what exact size your seams are, as long as they're all the SAME.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Three things to check:
1) Cutting to the correct size (use the same ruler, or same brand of ruler for your entire project if possible. use the same part of the line on your ruler when you cut. and make sure you are actually cutting against the ruler).
2) Seam Allowance. We talk about a 1/4" seam, but you don't measure the seam, you measure the resultant unit. Here's how to check:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html
3) And finally pressing. Make sure that you are not pressing a tiny fold at the seam.

It's always a good idea to check as you go along, measure the units as you construct them, don't wait until the block is all done. A lot of this is just gaining the skills. The more you quilt the better you are going to get.
I wouldn't worry too much about tossing the blocks you started with (well actually I wouldn't toss them, they would go in my scrap bag). It sounds like you are beyond that project, and if you suspect the pieces weren't cut correctly they are never going to go together. Why aggravate yourself?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:31 AM

Have you ever taken a Beginner's Class? They give you tons of helpful tips. But since you have made other tops, you are probably already on your way and will only keep improving. I would keep those blocks you are not fond of, but set them aside for now so you don't get frustrated. Someday, when you have the skills, you can use them as the centers for wonky blocks and be totally happy with them!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:28 AM

Thank you all for the great incite. I will resurrect my project and see if I can get it back on track.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:35 AM
amh

Paper Princess outlined everything that you need to do. She should be an instructor.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:16 PM

I would like to add to Paper Princess's great advice. **For accurate cuts, use the same ruler for your pieces or at least the same brand. Not all rulers brands measure the same! Oh, and do NOT use the cutting board to measure. Those are generally not accurate.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by lab fairy View Post
I would like to add to Paper Princess's great advice. **For accurate cuts, use the same ruler for your pieces or at least the same brand. Not all rulers brands measure the same! Oh, and do NOT use the cutting board to measure. Those are generally not accurate.
I would agree with this 100%. That said, for really large pieces, I will use the markings on my mat to start and then use my rulers for the subcuts so they are more accurate - or at least as accurate as that ruler is!