Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Another question on using school glue when sandwiching >
  • Another question on using school glue when sandwiching

• Another question on using school glue when sandwiching

Old 01-16-2016, 07:22 AM
    Power Poster

I am curious about when the glue doesn't come out of the bottle easily. Granted, I don't have carpal tunnel, shoulder, wrist, thumb, etc. issues (at least not yet!) but when I turn the bottle over, gravity takes care of much of it and it drizzles out in a thin bead. It doesn't take much pressure at all to get it going. If it gets down to the end of the bottle I give it a shake or two and then things start flowing again.
    Old 01-16-2016, 07:34 AM

I thin my glue also till it gets to flowing easily out of the bottle. Then I press the glue blobs flat with my hand. Sometimes they ease thru the fabric but everything washes out. If you leave blobs, they do create hard lumps. I don't cover absolutely everything. Just enough to tack the pieces together like pins do. I just do easy swoops of glue.
    Old 01-16-2016, 08:08 AM

I dilute glue 50-50 with water. I then do a thin grid line. If I need extra hold for some reason on a quilt I will use glue full strength and smear (spread) it around with my hand. The trick to using this glue is do not put it on in globs. There is no need to. This glue will hold everything together when you let it dry. I have been sandwiching my quilt with glue for years. I even glue my binding on with glue before stitching it down. I don't like using pins on my quilts because no matter how hard I try to get all the pins out of my quilt I have found every once and awhile a stray pin. So if use use glue and no pins you don't have that problem. Wash your quilt after it is finished, the glue just washes away.