Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another Starch Question

Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am in a block swap and it was requested that we NOT use anything with a fragrance on our blocks. What starch do you use on your fabs that doesn't have any fragrance? Do you make your own? Looking for a little advice here...thanks in advance! Have a good day!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I buy Stay-Flo in the big bottles and mix my own. I don't notice a fragrance with it.

they make unscented starch and the best press that everybody loves also comes in unscented

Blog Entries
    Mary Ellen's Best has a no scent spray. I haven't noticed the regular starches with scent staying on the fabric very long after ironing.

I think for a swap I would use Best Press, just to be on the safe side.

I am in my first swap too.. I understand to wash my fabric, but we need to starch it too?

Starching is a personal choice, it is not required. But starching does help to give the fabric a bit of "stability" and can help with accuracy of your cutting/piecing.

You can get the Best Press at Hancocks and most of the time I use a 40% off coupon. I love the stuff.

I tried making my starch from a recipe here I found using cornstarch. It left a residue on my black material, so I swithce back to best press and haven't had anymore problems. I use the clear one. Blessings, Georgia

the 'smell' of the starch disappears as soon as it's dry. i think that applies more to using smelly fabric softeners or ... the BIG NO=NO some people actually spritz a little perfume on fabrics....HORRIBLE THING TO DO!! i don't know for sure but my guess is they do this to (try) to cover the smell of cigarette smoke...IT DOES NOT WORK...IT ONLY MAKES THE FABRIC MORE NOXIOUS THAN IT WAS BEFORE. and some people have horrible allergies...
    and what smells good to you...may smell like *#**#** something really bad to me...and vise-versa
    starch or sizing should be fine though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast