Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: At what point ...

  1. #1
    geckogirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana / Alabama
    Posts
    366
    At what point does an idea turn into a work in progress turn into an unfinished object?
    Just curious ...

  2. #2
    Super Member luvTooQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Posts
    7,115
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by geckogirl
    At what point does an idea turn into a work in progress turn into an unfinished object?
    Just curious ...
    when you run out of fabric...
    When you lost interest....
    when life just gets in the way..

  3. #3
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,487
    When you get so frustrated with it that you want to toss it in the trash, but you've put too much time and effort into it to waste it entirely...and after all UFOs do get finished eventually.

  4. #4
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm thinking an idea turns into a WIP once the fabric cutting is started. It turns into a UFO when you quit working on it and start on something else.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bubblegum0077's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    794
    Gee, I have two projects I can't seem to get back to, a quilt that needs mending, and I just started a new wall hanging today. I hate going back to projects once I leave them for a long period of time because I just lose total interest. Today I felt like doing a quick project, but it turned out that I started a wall hanging since my display wall is bare after pulling down the Christmas wall hanging. Going for a 45x55, but for now I just hung a queen log cabin top I haven't had $$$ to get quilted yet. My wall looked too bare and the log cabin (did I mention it's scrappy!) is just so colorful, it makes the wall look good.

  6. #6
    quiltnerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    50
    It becomes a UFO when my DH makes me clean all the bits of fabric off the kitchen table and put it away - once it is no longer in-my-face, I stop obsessing, and then forget about it!

  7. #7
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    A WIP is something that you work on, a UFO has been tucked away for an extended period of time, and may or may not get finished.
    I have a few WIP's that get worked on regularly, even though they are over two years old. I have one UFO I started and has sat for almost 4 years now in a box in the closet LOL :D:D:D

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    915
    For me its when a new project seems more interesting!!

  9. #9
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,282
    IDEA: the fabric might or might not be purchased but
    isn't cut yet
    WIP: something actually being worked on even if sporatically
    UFO: started, unfinished, set aside and not being worked on
    LIW: (lady in waiting) Top finished, not quilted yet.

    That's my personal way of listing the things here. I'm sure other's have their own ways.

  10. #10
    Super Member kateyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Posts
    2,247
    To me they are all WIP's. I don't care if they haven't been worked on in a year or more it is still a WIP.

  11. #11
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    For me a WIP is something I'm enjoying and a UFO tends to be something I no longer like! :D

  12. #12
    Super Member pab58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    near Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    5,868
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    IDEA: the fabric might or might not be purchased but
    isn't cut yet
    WIP: something actually being worked on even if sporatically
    UFO: started, unfinished, set aside and not being worked on
    LIW: (lady in waiting) Top finished, not quilted yet.

    That's my personal way of listing the things here. I'm sure other's have their own ways.
    ooooo.....I like this!!! That means what I thought was a UFO is actually a LIW!!! Yea!!!!! :thumbup: :lol: Now whenever I see that beauty just laying there, I will say, "Hi there, lady! How ya doin'?" Although, I might need to change the name since it is for my brother! How about a MIW (man-in-waiting) or a GIW (gentleman-in-waiting)? :lol:

  13. #13
    Super Member klgreene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Brewerton, NY
    Posts
    2,493
    Quote Originally Posted by pab58
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    IDEA: the fabric might or might not be purchased but
    isn't cut yet
    WIP: something actually being worked on even if sporatically
    UFO: started, unfinished, set aside and not being worked on
    LIW: (lady in waiting) Top finished, not quilted yet.

    That's my personal way of listing the things here. I'm sure other's have their own ways.
    ooooo.....I like this!!! That means what I thought was a UFO is actually a LIW!!! Yea!!!!! :thumbup: :lol: Now whenever I see that beauty just laying there, I will say, "Hi there, lady! How ya doin'?" Although, I might need to change the name since it is for my brother! How about a MIW (man-in-waiting) or a GIW (gentleman-in-waiting)? :lol:
    Oh good, that means I have LIW's and not UFO's and I'm working on them, so hopefully they'll get done soon so I can start another project. Although I have one that is for sure a UFO and it will probably stay a UFO for a while. Unless I come up with something very creative with it.

  14. #14
    Super Member sewwhat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    6,891
    lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.