Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Answers to my quilt show questions.... >

Answers to my quilt show questions....

Answers to my quilt show questions....

Old 04-04-2010, 02:09 PM

Too late because I sent the paperwork in, but I thought I'd share was was said in case it'll help others. She did say they'll adjust any of my paperwork, and I think I have more original designs than I thought. :-D

I'll put my question to her first, then her answer in a different color.

1. What would define a quilt to be "My Original Design?" Every quilt I've ever made was triggered by something I saw somewhere.
1. I would think that the maker would define this, there are traditional blocks and use of them is legal in a quilt, I would think that "triggered by something seen..." is the idea triggered, or is the quilt copied? I have an original design quilt but I used pinwheels in the border, and I would call this an original design....

2. The form reads "To be eligible for the Best of Show award, the piece must be completely designed/created by one person, it cannot be a kit quilt." Does this mean it must be an original pattern? Does it mean the quilt has to be quilted by the maker, too?
2, you can't use an established pattern, from anyone for the entire quilt, and it should be made by one person, you and I should not collaborate on a quilt for this award, but it can still be entered. Quilting is another question, I assume giving credit to the machine quilter, would be honorable.

3. Is there a difference between machine quilted and long-arm quilted? I circled both, but maybe I should have left machine quilted off. I bet you make adjustments where necessary?
3. machine quilting is implied with long-arm quilting, otherwise it is regular machine quilting. Yes we will make adjustments.

So, I think both log cabins will be considered original designs. The others are not. Kayak is questionable, but I took that idea from a magazine, which I stated in the paperwork--I just couldn't find the magazine. :roll: But it's a basic kaleidescope pattern.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for letting us know. Some of those answers still seem a little ambiguous to me, but who am I to know? Please let us know how you get on with your comments when the show is over.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:25 PM

Yeah--it sure seems like a lot of gray area. But, photos of each quilt had to be sent along with the paperwork, so I'm confident they'll know exactly what to do. Thank goodness.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:31 PM

huh?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:31 AM

I'm in the huh category. I just don't understand enough about quilting yet to make heads or tails of her explanations.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:48 AM

I knew there was a reason I have never entered any of my work in a juried show. Having belonged to a quilt "professional" network at one time I know a little about the "professional" world of quilting. I have friends who are certified judges. "judges" are supposed to be impartial. In the real world no human is capable of being entirely impartial. Personal taste always enters in to the equation. It became a private joke at our State Fair years ago. One of the judges would give a ribbon to anything done in white. Being human each of us has our own favorite things and type or pattern of quilt.
Over the years I have seen many beautiful quilts with flawless workmanship that left me cold. It must be a truly hard job to lay aside your own preferences and judge someone else's work fairly.
I rarely participate in a BOM because I am not interested in spending my time making something I don't like. I think that is why I don't have UFOs. I only start projects I would enjoy once they are finished. The only exceptions are professional commissions. I guess that is the reason I don't take many commissions.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:09 AM

I give you kudos for entering!
Just having the "guts" to do it should give you a big blue ribbon!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
I knew there was a reason I have never entered any of my work in a juried show. Having belonged to a quilt "professional" network at one time I know a little about the "professional" world of quilting. I have friends who are certified judges. "judges" are supposed to be impartial. In the real world no human is capable of being entirely impartial. Personal taste always enters in to the equation. It became a private joke at our State Fair years ago. One of the judges would give a ribbon to anything done in white. Being human each of us has our own favorite things and type or pattern of quilt.
Over the years I have seen many beautiful quilts with flawless workmanship that left me cold. It must be a truly hard job to lay aside your own preferences and judge someone else's work fairly.
I rarely participate in a BOM because I am not interested in spending my time making something I don't like. I think that is why I don't have UFOs. I only start projects I would enjoy once they are finished. The only exceptions are professional commissions. I guess that is the reason I don't take many commissions.
This is the case in all worlds of judging. I used to do a lot of horse showing and despite how impartial they try to be, a judges personal preferences most always come in to play. I can only guess it's probably worse in the quilt show world as there is even more to be partial about (colors, fabrics, patterns, etc).

Karla, those answers are clear as mud to me! So to be best in show, the quilt has to be made from a totally new design created by the quilter? Like you can't have bought a pattern and used it to make the quilt?
Old 04-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

I've seen many quilts accepted to be in Paducah made from commercial patterns and patterns from popular quilt books. Just curious why you are agonizing over these questions? Be careful or it won't be fun when it becomes a worry.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Just curious why you are agonizing over these questions? Be careful or it won't be fun when it becomes a worry.
Oh, it's fun. I only wanted to be 100% clear, accurate and fair about my entries.

I think IF I do this again, I'll just hand them in and never question the questions! :roll: