View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 03:48 AM
mpspeedy

I knew there was a reason I have never entered any of my work in a juried show. Having belonged to a quilt "professional" network at one time I know a little about the "professional" world of quilting. I have friends who are certified judges. "judges" are supposed to be impartial. In the real world no human is capable of being entirely impartial. Personal taste always enters in to the equation. It became a private joke at our State Fair years ago. One of the judges would give a ribbon to anything done in white. Being human each of us has our own favorite things and type or pattern of quilt.
Over the years I have seen many beautiful quilts with flawless workmanship that left me cold. It must be a truly hard job to lay aside your own preferences and judge someone else's work fairly.
I rarely participate in a BOM because I am not interested in spending my time making something I don't like. I think that is why I don't have UFOs. I only start projects I would enjoy once they are finished. The only exceptions are professional commissions. I guess that is the reason I don't take many commissions.