Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone with arthtitis having trouble? >

Anyone with arthtitis having trouble?

Anyone with arthtitis having trouble?

Old 09-07-2015, 06:35 AM

Bree123, thanks for the great information. I am unwilling to give up hand quilting and using the computer. This information is a great help.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:22 AM

I love the Martelli cutter, easier to keep it strait and easier on the fingers too. I still hand quilting but only smaller quilts, I don't like machine quilting as much but I've learned to live with it.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:55 AM

I have worked with other quilters, as time goes on we all end up with some problems. When a lady I know wants to start a new quilt, one of use does all of her cutting (I use clean pizza boxes for quilting). I will cut out each size and label them, then move onto the next and so on. When I take this on, I let this lady know it will take a week to get all of the cutting done (it never does, but this gives me time and I don't feel pushed). Now this lady has helped me with personal sewing help (I haven't had to pay $45.00 per hour to a sewing teacher, so a win, win). So you might find someone that you can help, who can help you. Win, win all around. Good luck
Old 09-07-2015, 08:02 AM

I am trying Blue Emu Oil which is available at a Hannfords. Seems to be helping.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:02 AM

So many thanks for all the replies to my question re:arthritis. I will use alot of these remedies!!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:11 AM

I learned to bind my quilts totally on the machine rather than hand sewing them. Also, if the pain gets to me, I wear the glove with no fingers and the wrap at the wrist. Persevere . . . we have to do something creative!!!
Old 09-07-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by celwood View Post
I have very bad arthritis. My doctor ordered me a splint to help with the pain in my thumb area. The splint was covered by insurance but if it isn't it costs $90. Here is the link:
http://www.vivomed.com/en/Push-Brace...n=UnitedStates
Does it work?....
Old 09-07-2015, 10:32 AM

I have had RA for 46 years and there have been times I could do nothing. I have been lucky that the medications I take now have helped me so much. I do have problems with my hands and if they get to bad I get injections in the joints that keeps them in good enough shape for me to use them They don't like to do that very often so I self treat as much as possible. I use the gloves I find at Walgreen that brace my wrist and thumb area but leave my fingers free. You put them on and pull the band to as tight as you want it and fasten the velcro strap where it is most comfortable for you. I sleep in them when I am having a lot of pain and it helps so much.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:37 PM

I use 1 teaspoon of raw (unpasteurized) honey, taken orally prior to bedtime and for me; I would say it has taken 75% of my pain away (through my entire body, especially my hands). I have no medical background, but have almost been incapacitated with what they think is osteo arthritis. In an attempt to regain my previous life, I searched the internet for help and found articles saying taking honey helps some. I was skeptical, but knew it wouldn't hurt me to try. I was really amazed, but very grateful that it helped. I continue to take the same amount in the morning as well and have resumed all my activities, including piecing quilt tops. It was a life saver for me. I have a friend who takes 2 Tablespoons a day, but didn't get as quick relief or as much relief; so it may vary from person to person, but perhaps worth a try. When you have that much pain, it's worth it to try. Good luck to anyone with arthritis!
Old 09-07-2015, 06:38 PM

I have RA for 30 + years now. before I found Orencia, I fell and broke both my wrists, the left one is the worst, a steel plate and screws in that one. Anyway I use Havels ruler-cutter combo and really love it. Sure I'm slow at quilting but I get to do the thing that I enjoy the most now-days.