Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone bought a new viking

I am sewing machine shopping.......does Viking have a machine for around 300 or 350 that is good

I dont know anything about the cheaper machines. I bought one at Joanns for 1100 that has a 10 inch throat, stay stitch, needle down and many other features.
    I bought it there because it is so accessable, and the sales girls are always around for info.
    The only problem Ive had with it is the 1/4 inch foot dosnt cover the feed dogs so it was jurking to the right. When I asked they told me to get an edging foot and adjust the needle for 1/4 in, that solved the problem.
    I know they sale cheaper machines and even carry other brands. I really like that it is so handy to ask questions and get parts.

My Joanns only sells white and singer and only carries a total 4 models My income is SS........I am buying what I can afford. I do love quilting and need a few more feautures than i have on my old machines. You are very fortunate to have so much extra money that you can buy the best and not just a "cheap one" :twisted:

Guiss all Joanns are not the same. They just opened mine about a yr ago.
    They specialize in H. Viking. They have lots of sales as low as 199.

I bought a Brother at an outlet for 129. It was for quilting so came with a walking foot and table. but it just dosnt have what I really needed, needle down and stay stiche.
    I am not married and live on SS and a small retirement from the County I worked for. So I dont have a large income. I made payment for my Viking and just got it paid off.

The regular price of my Sears 19-901 is $299. It does lots of stitches for regular sewing, heirloom sewing, and quilting. With a good Xmas sale, and extra 10% off for shopping early, I got it for $239. I did, however, have to pay another $25 for quilting feet. I comparison shopped for three days solid within a 40 mile radius of my home. So far, I love it.

Things I like about it:
    Needle stop position adjusts to stay up or down.
    Tacks in place just by pressing button
    When I try to sew zig-zag without a zigzag foot, it beeps and flashes the light instead of breaking the needle or parts.
    The foot pedal is metal
    Super-easy to make adjustments for width, fancy stitches, and length

Things I don't like about it:
    Even with pedal down, it does not sew as fast as the commercial machines I am used to.
    The light is a teeny halogen bulb, plenty bright, but I have a feeling it will be pricier to replace
    It does not remember stitches. If I am doing something fancy, then shut machine off, it defaults to straight stitch at startup. (More of a mild annoyance than anything. Once I realized that was how it works, I know where to stop now)

The Vikings are good machines.I have had 2,just traded one in for the new Brother Duetta ,not becuase I didn't like the Viking,they are great!

I have a Viking/Husqvarna Platnium 750 and I just love it!!!! I have my baby about 3 1/2 years now and I just looooove it!!!

:?: are you saying a purchase price of $300 - dollars??? I bought a Rose in 1999 and it cost $1800 - it was used!