Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is anyone else obsessed with Sampler Quilts? >

Is anyone else obsessed with Sampler Quilts?

Is anyone else obsessed with Sampler Quilts?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Banned

I love all quilts, but I also have a soft spot for sampler quilts. I like making all those different blocks. It keeps it interesting and fresh throughout the quilt making process. :D :D
Old 05-03-2011, 09:34 AM

I always enjoy creating the different blocks. But then I have major craft add, LOL! Currently doing the Patchwork Squared modern quilt-along, and it has been fun making all the differnt blocks.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:58 AM

I'm working on my first sampler and I was just thinking about this! I'm doing the Civil War Block of the Week on Barbara Brackman's blog and I find myself spending a lot of time on each block - fussy cutting or orientation of the fabrics.

It's quite a switch from my usual methods - chain piecing and racing to get it all done so that I can get to the quilting. :)

I bought the Dear Jane software and I'm thinking about starting that, but the Farmer's Wife looks pretty interesting, too. Anyone have both of these and prefer one over the other?

Edited to add Barbara Brackman's blog address:
http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/
Old 05-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

OMG I just saw that !!!
I love BB's books on quilt history but didn't know about this block of the month.
I think I need to get going since it's already May!!!
(or is it block of the week)???

Thanks, polyparrot!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:48 PM

I LOVE the history part of the weekly postings on her blog, too. :)

I started it just to see if I could hang in there with a Block-of-the-Whatever - my attention span is usually about the size of a gnat's. :? But, the way it's turning out, I actually prefer the constant change of blocks to the usual repetition of the same block over and over.

The first needleturn applique I ever did was the block that had SEVEN little five-pointed stars on it. It hooked me for good on needle-turn applique and I now have three appliqued quilts in the works, so be careful! :mrgreen:

You won't be sorry for sewing along with this blog. :)
Old 05-03-2011, 01:05 PM

I love sampler quilts and make them frequently. Always interested in different ones.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Someday, I will make a sampler quilt again. I don't have fond memories of my last one since when I had the top 90% completed, my future ex-DH ripped my work to shreds and told me I was just wasting HIS money. When I do make one, it will not be in blues and yellows. What was meant to be a happy project turned into a nightmare of ripped and torn blocks laying there mocking me. Sorry about that downer story. I hadn't thought of it in years. The divorce will be final in October. That is indeed good news! (BTW, his new pick-up just got repossessed; may I grin here?) :mrgreen:
Old 05-03-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
The sampler quilts started as a way for the experienced quilters years ago to show off their blocks they have perfected as a way to pass down to the next generation. I love these quilts they are so fun to look at and make!
I have longed to do one as I tend to stick to basics/simple and thought this would be a great way to force me out of my comfort zone.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Someday, I will make a sampler quilt again. I don't have fond memories of my last one since when I had the top 90% completed, my future ex-DH ripped my work to shreds and told me I was just wasting HIS money. When I do make one, it will not be in blues and yellows. What was meant to be a happy project turned into a nightmare of ripped and torn blocks laying there mocking me. Sorry about that downer story. I hadn't thought of it in years. The divorce will be final in October. That is indeed good news! (BTW, his new pick-up just got repossessed; may I grin here?) :mrgreen:
Sorry you had to experience that...but i love the ending...Karma will get ya! lol