Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever cut up a 1600 quilt?

Quiltnchik - same thing happened the first time I made a 1600 quilt. I wanted to make a 48" square baby quilt and it was sort of like using variegated yarn, with blotches of colors and often the same fabrics ending up next to each other. I ended up cutting the strips into 48" lengths so that I would have more control. The next two quilts I made I just cut all strips into 48" lengths at the beginning.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Peckish, I think your original 1600 quilt was beautiful! But I like the cut-up one too.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm still working on this "45-minute" quilt top (since yesterday), because I keep getting sidetracked by barn chores, etc.. I'll see how it looks once I finish, but I really like the idea of making a postage stamp quilt out of it instead.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    Peggi, i love what you did with your original quilt. my first thought was... what if you get two colors in the same new square. i had to search hard, but i see that you did. it really doesn't show up, though. looks fantastic. i would never have thought to do such a thing. thanks to quiltnchik for posting the question
    I tried to avoid repeating the same two squares in a row, so I ended up turning some of the rows around, and I think there were a couple of strips that I took apart in the middle, flipped the ends around, and sewed back together again. My biggest concern was that some of the squares ended up being smaller than 2.5", but once it was all put back together again it didn't really matter, they don't draw the eye like I expected them to.

Love the idea. Be sure to post the finished quilt.

I have seen some of the 1600 quilts with applique flowers and such sewn onto them, I liked those better.

I liked your original Peckish and I liked the finished one also.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Peggi that really turn out nice!!!!!

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Way to go!! It's great either way! I do love the colors.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Blog Entries
    I appliqued a large Christmas tree on my 1600 Christmas quilt - and it really made a difference. My friend is going to do one in pastels and applique flowers on it. I agree sometimes the fabrics were too close together. Probably won't make another one.
    Quilting in the Desert

Blog Entries
    I appliqued on my Christmas 1600 also on the front and back. I liked the 1600 as a background. This quilt has won two awards. The last one, was 2nd place for all the applique.

I do love the look of Peckish's quilt once she cut it up. Beautiful colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast