Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
has anyone ever cut up an old fur coat? >

has anyone ever cut up an old fur coat?

has anyone ever cut up an old fur coat?

Old 01-12-2011, 01:42 PM

some one gave me one its in sad shape I would never wear it but I am thinking about cutting it up and making a bear or something. But I have never cut real fur just wondering?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hosta
some one gave me one its in sad shape I would never wear it but I am thinking about cutting it up and making a bear or something. But I have never cut real fur just wondering?
When you cut it, you only cut the leather part, try not to cut the fur. It can be very difficult to sew. An old machine will usually sew better than the new electronic ones. And get leather needles and use a longer stitch. Zig zag works great. If you are going to make stuffed animals, try to find a pattern with few seams and not too much detail. Try sewing on some of the scraps first to see how it goes. Good Luck :!: :!: :lol:
Old 01-12-2011, 01:57 PM

My friend used to do that all the time and yes she made bears to sell. She never had any problems doing it. She used both real and fake fur coats.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:44 PM

I was told to cut from the back (wrong side) and to use a razor blade as dont want to cut the fur ....that was too much for me so didn't continue.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:52 PM

Yes, my mom made a couple of bears using a mink coat!! she cut from the back using a retractable blade/knife to just cut leather and after sewing used a dull big needle to pull hair out of seams (so seam disappeard) was sorta messy but bears turned out wonderful
Old 01-12-2011, 03:14 PM

if it is very old make one out of muslin sp? it is weak and will split when you stuff it i have a book that covers this i'll look for itand let you know what it says i have used them for trim on doll clothing like father christmas
Old 01-12-2011, 04:23 PM

You do want to cut from the leather side. I used to use small scissors and make small cuts to keep from cutting the fur on the other side. You might want to cut the pattern out of muslin too and sew the four layers together... Because if stuffed to firm, the leather will split. The muslin will work like a stabilizer. Have fun and let us see when your done!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:32 PM

I would love to see what you make with it!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:36 PM

An elderly neighbor gave me what must have been at one time a fantastically expensive ankle length Mink coat. For whatever reason, she took out the lining of it. I stuck it in a closet and took it out several times, but in the last 20 years or so never got around to it. It fell in the closet once and Koko, my rescue cat, instantly claimed it so now he has probably the most expensive cat bed in town.
One of these days I may steal enough of it to make a doll cape, or maybe a doll coat. I have an old 1800s pattern somewhere reduced for large dolls.