Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone ever started cutting for one pattern... >

Anyone ever started cutting for one pattern...

Anyone ever started cutting for one pattern...

Old 01-05-2016, 05:05 AM

Default Anyone ever started cutting for one pattern...

...then ended up deciding to do another pattern and having to figure out how to get the cuts out of the already cut pieces?

Can you tell I'm new at this?

Watson
Old 01-05-2016, 05:14 AM

No because I get bored doing one single task for a long period of time therefore it prevents me from cutting a lot at a time... and because of that same reason, I'm afraid I will get bored sewing the same pattern over and over again. I usually combine different patterns in a quilt...

what you did is learning what will be your comfort zone for future quilts... some call it "experience" I guess next time you will put a photo of the planned quilt your are cutting fabrics for... and some notes to help you "remember"

welcome in to the "getting experienced quilters" club
Old 01-05-2016, 05:23 AM

Not that I can remember, but when I know I have to cut the same shapes over and over I will cut a few, sew a few, back to cut ...breaks the monotony and seeing the block/design take shape as I'm working is sort of an incentive to go on. However, by the time I'm putting on that final border....I'm really anxious to get that project out of my face and on to something else....ok, so why do I have UFOs? Mystery!
Old 01-05-2016, 05:28 AM

Yup bin there done that. I've also cut everything and had to lay it aside for a while and then forgotten exactly what I was planning to do with the pieces. Now I make much better notes, take photos and keep everything (including extra fabric) together in a tote, if I am not going to do the project right away.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Yup bin there done that. I've also cut everything and had to lay it aside for a while and then forgotten exactly what I was planning to do with the pieces. Now I make much better notes, take photos and keep everything (including extra fabric) together in a tote, if I am not going to do the project right away.
I've done that, but not really done what the OP said. If I get where I don't want to do it anymore, I just make the quilt smaller or change something, or else, it just becomes a UFO. The pieces could always go into crumb blocks.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

when that happens to me, I try to get a few blocks done, I can always make a table runner out of 3 or 4.
then I give it all to my friend that makes wonderful orphan block quilts. good luck.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

I am having second thought on this one pattern if it will work with the fabric I have. Just cut one strip. EQ lets me scan fabric and put it into the pattern drawing so I can see what the final results will be before I start cutting.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Yep, been there done that. Here's another one, ever grab a bit of fabric to make a trial block of a new pattern and really like it? Then try to find enough of the same fabric to make a quilt.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Oh buying pre cuts and getting the cuts out their pattern says is tricky and takes some thought. I have seen good patterns that also give pictures of how to get those cuts. Love that help but more pattern makers dont' bother. Now doing another pattern from cuts will take more brain power than I want to expend. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:59 AM

Cut the biggest pieces first. The pattern I am currently using lists the fabric cuts in the order of smallest pieces first, and I don't like that method. If you need a 5.5" piece and it is listed last, you may have to cut a separate strip just for that. But if you think about it, you can cut your 5.5" strip first, get that 5.5" square, then see how many 3" squares you need, and how many 2.5" squares, and how many 1.75" squares, and they probably all can be cut from that same (first) 5.5" strip.